Ibanez Roadstars

dyroot

• Members

Hey, im looking into buying a new guitar, and I like the look of the mid 80's Ibanez Roadstar II guitars. Are these any good? They look really neat

Plenty of roadstar info on here already, try a search you will come up with a ton of info. For the most part they are all decent except the low end of the 1xx series that were MIK and had a plywood body, 80's Ibanez MIK = not good.

• Members

I just recently picked up a 1984 Roadstar 2 RS440.

Those were nice guitars. I'm not actively searching one out or anything, but if I ever run across one of those in purple for a convenient and really good local deal, I'll pounce on it.

mid-80s Ibanez MIJ guitars were great. I have two Roadstar II RB850 basses, a black '85 and a white '84, the former of which is for sale on CL right now since I picked up the other one -- I loved the black one just fine, but I wanted one in white. Both play great and are very well constructed, and are pretty much all the bass I'll ever likely need.

• Members

I've never had the opportunity to play one, but I've always wanted to try one. I remember a couple years ago there was a white one at a garage sale at a pretty reasonable price, but something was missing on it ... can't remember exactly what, but it had a Floyd-type bridge w/ locking nut that I had never seen before and it was a part from that system. Whatever it was, the guitar needed it to be played, and I figured it would be too hard to find a replacement, so I didn't buy it. I was looking for a cheap drumset at the time anyways, so I guess it was no big deal, but I sometimes wish I had that guitar.

• Members

Superb guitars as long as it is MIJ... They were made at FugiGen which builds on top quality stuff. I have a Roadstar bass which is killer and had a couple of guitars... actually one was a Roadster, earler than a Roadstar.. wonderful instruments and dirt cheap too, but many had vintage size smallish frets which was not my cup of meat... bob

• Members

If you can find one for cheap, get it. Japanese Roadstars have one of the finest necks ever produced. I picked up my 83' RS335 for $150 with case. It is an amazing axe.

IbanezRoadstar-fullbodyheadstock.jpg
IbanezRoadstar-fullbody.jpg

I really like ones like that, with the humbucker at the bridge, and a single at the neck.

Well thanks guys, ill be patient and wait for a good deal on one.

• Members

I really like ones like that, with the humbucker at the bridge, and a single at the neck.

Well thanks guys, ill be patient and wait for a good deal on one.

Yeah, I really like that one as well. My 83 has the arched/carved top and my 85 has the more rounded body contour. I'd really like to get one of the flat tops with the binding and I'd really like one with the one HB and one SC.

Probably the guitar that I missed out on bidding that I regret the most was an 86 Stanley Jordan-endorsed model with the two active pickups, fixed bridge and the trans black finish. The winning bid was $290 and I would have big at least $400 for it.

• Members

The coolest neckthru roadstar ever:

RS1.jpg

RS2.jpg

RS3.jpg

RS4.jpg

RS5.jpg

RS6.jpg

RS7.jpg

This particular specimen was cleared of the original paint and the

Sims Custom shop resprayed it in a custom color.

I found it so awesome that I saved the pics on my server.

The owner put it together like this:

rs1400_1.jpg

rs1400_3.jpg

rs1400_4.jpg

Not mine but what an awesome job by Sims.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I just picked up a MIJ RS135 (84-85) on consignment. Basically a Strat but just plays better and sounds better than my Fender Std. The tremolo even works and it stays in tune. I also got lucky and found a '83 RS315 also made in Japan.  If you can find one in good condition at a reasonble price I would recommend it.fetch?id=31071719&d=1394140008

• Members

Cliff Fiscal wrote:

I've got two....... one created from jjpistols red flamed body, in the link's pictures....along with a new bought from Mazibee....(not show with Ibby neck)

Cliff... are you the artist formerly known as Cracker, or Cracker D, or something like that (Junior Brown avatar)?  With people changing names and no avatars it's hard to keep up.

• Members

dyroot wrote:

Hey, im looking into buying a new guitar, and I like the look of the mid 80's Ibanez Roadstar II guitars. Are these any good? They look really neat

Yes, those are very good guitars.

They are equivelent to the highly sought after JV series of Fenders from that era - which is not surprising considering the fact that they were made in the same factory at the same time. The only big difference is the price tag.

Archived