PRS makes damn fine guitars.

GreatDane

• Members

and not just for looking at either.  for me, it started with my first McCarty.  I love everything about it, from the neck to the stock McCarty pickups to the coil tap.  and it sounds amazing.  very soulful and rich-sounding.  i gigged it for years up until i "retired" to focus on the growing family.  it has never let me down and gives my Les Pauls a serious run for their money.

v

in addition to the McCarty, i currently have the following:

DGT - there is something really special about the DGT model, IMO.  the pickups are incredible and the coil-tapping yields the best, most convincing single-coil sounds i've heard with no noticable signal loss!  the pattern neck is very comfortable, and the trem is very smooth and stable.  there's been times i've been playing it and it really even sounds like a 335.  very cool.  i tend to grab for this one a lot.

v

McCarty Hollowbody II - strung with .11s and sounds huge.  i love PRS's wide-fat necks and this is no exception.  freakly light, but still well-balanced.  everything is just perfect about this guitar.  i blame fellow forumite, Warriorpoet, for getting me curious about the PRS hollowbody model.  he let me take stewardship over his beautiful goldtop spruce PRS hollowbody for a year or so, and as soon as I returned it, i knew i'd have to find one of my own.

v

MEQ (1 of 7 made for "Experience PRS" event) - finish is called "blueburst".  the 53/10 pickups are just awesome.  not overly hot, and not modern-sounding- a nice rich vintage sounding pickup that works great with the W-F solid rosewood neck.  i'm not necessary a blue guitar kind of guy, but this is one of those that is stunning regardless and sounds too amazing to get overly hung up on a finish (which i do like, by the way).  the paisley case is just icing on the cake.

v

MEQ Trem in Charcoal - what could be better than one MEQ?  how about two.  this one has a trem, so yeah.  everything i like about the blue MEQ is in this guitar as well.  if i were gigging again, i would probably take this one or the DGT along with me.  seriously.

v

feel free to dismiss them as fancy furniture or gaudy lawyer toys, but each of these are excellent playing and sounding guitars that also happen to be gorgeous.  the fit and finish is 100\% and the attention to detail is impressive.  the solid rosewood necks on the MEQs have me addicted to that smooth, raw-wood feeling.

hopefully you can dig it, and if you have a PRS, post 'em up!

• Members

Can't disagree, although I don't own one at present.  I've played a bunch at music stores and never played one I didn't like.  I almost traded a couple other guitars for a custom 24 at the Orlando Guitar show last weekend, but couldn't bring myself to part with them.  Some day.  Congrats on a nice collection!

• Members

BydoEmpire2 wrote:

Can't disagree, although I don't own one at present.  I've played a bunch at music stores and never played one I didn't like.  I almost traded a couple other guitars for a custom 24 at the Orlando Guitar show last weekend, but couldn't bring myself to part with them.  Some day.  Congrats on a nice collection!

thank you, BE!  here's to "some day" being sooner rather than later.

• Members

bubkus_jones wrote:

Wouldn't mind owning one someday. Hell, I'd even take an SE, they're pretty high quality guitars themselves.

i haven't tried a SE yet.  wouldn't be surprised if they were great.  PRS guitars are relatively inexpensive used, so you might surprise yourself and take one home someday.

• Members

virtuzoso wrote:

You could also have titled this " an excuse to show off my collection"

There are a select few here that own that patent, Great Dane isn't one of them.  It would be good if not for the same old pics with nothing new - aside of a new excuse.  :catsnore:

• Members

GreatDane wrote:

i can dig it - yours are super nice!  i'm happy to report that my SE is super fun to play and came to me through the generosity of a good friend during a difficult time, as a "karma neutral" guitar.  the SE was exactly what i needed at the time, and is still the guitar i grab when i want to goof off as it is a lot of fun to play, really durable, and   forgiving of my experimentation. 

PRSSEMahoney.JPG

• Members

caseybjones wrote:

GreatDane wrote:

i can dig it - yours are super nice!  i'm happy to report that my SE is super fun to play and came to me through the generosity of a good friend during a difficult time, as a "karma neutral" guitar.  the SE was exactly what i needed at the time, and is still the guitar i grab when i want to goof off as it is a lot of fun to play, really durable, and   forgiving of my experimentation. 

PRSSEMahoney.JPG

that's really nice~ i dig the color.  thank you for sharing!

Archived