Vox guitars??

Space coyote

• Members

I used to own a 1960 Italian made Vox Apollo I paid $50 for in 1970. Heres one thats the same except mine was a sunburst. http://www.gbase.com/gear/vox-apollo-new-old-stock-nos-1960-red#

The cool part was the active electronics. most think that stuff is new but Vox was doing that 50 years ago and the sound was still as good as anything you find today. Mine had a trebble bass booster, overdrive with the BC 108 transisor (same transistor used in the Fuzz Face pedal during the '60's). It also had an E tuner. flip a switch and you'd hear an organ E note coming from the amp to tune to. That is something way ahead of its time. it had something selse for electronics but its been 45 years since I owned it.

The solid bodies sounded alot like Mosrites. Not bad, its just nothing I'd spend major bucks to buy. I especially wouldnt spend $2100 for one like I had. My neostalgia has its limits over the control of my wallet. I'd also have to take a real serious look at a current vox before buying one. Most of the new stuff they're making now is just branded imports and has none of the quality of their original guitars so you're basically buying the name.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I just picked up the 33 series single cut in Teaburst, this is a sweet guitar, the coaxes pickup system gives really amazing single coil/humbucker tones. very light and comfortable to play, my back is shot,so this is such a great substitute for a boat anchor les Paul! I love this guitar!

• Members

companyman wrote:

I just picked up the 33 series single cut in Teaburst, this is a sweet guitar, the coaxes pickup system gives really amazing single coil/humbucker tones. very light and comfortable to play, my back is shot,so this is such a great substitute for a boat anchor les Paul! I love this guitar!

They sure look sexy.

DV016\_Jpg\_Large\_H70584.001\_teaburst\_R.jpg

• Members

The missing link between playing ease and perfect sound. Quintessential VOX Styling Virage is available in both Single Cutaway (SC) and Double Cutaway (DC) body styles. The bound rosewood fingerboard and the distinctive headstock are inlaid with mother-of-pearl markers that echo the winged "S" shape of the VOX Super Smooth tuners.

Archived