I've decided I'm never going to file nut slots again...

billybilly

• Members

I've found that many, if not most, production guitars and neck builders nut slots are way too high, warmoth is a good example of this.  I used to file the individual slots but more recently, have just been tapping the entire nut out and taking the base down.  Basically, I clean off and debris where it has been, lay down some sand paper on a flat surface and take the desired amount off the bottom of the nut.  Take a little off, place it back on the guitar to check and repeat to desired height.  From here, just a little tite bond (wood glue) and tighten the strings which act as a clamp.  Not rocket science and far easier than taking down the individual slots.  The end.

• Members

That works easily on nuts with a flat bottom.  Not so easy with curved or angled bottoms.  Also, for the most part, it prohibits being able to set each string height separately.  Also, on most new guitars, they leave too much nut material hugging the sides of the strings and it's even worse after filing the slots down some.  If i'M gonna have to file some of the top down anyway, then I'd just as soon work entirely on the top of the nut.  YMMV. 

• Members

Chad wrote:

That works easily on nuts with a flat bottom.  Not so easy with curved or angled bottoms.  Also, for the most part, it prohibits being able to set each string height separately.  Also, on most new guitars, they leave too much nut material hugging the sides of the strings and it's even worse after filing the slots down some.  If i'M gonna have to file some of the top down anyway, then I'd just as soon work entirely on the top of the nut.  YMMV. 

True all the above, nut files can be pricey though and for the most part, the slots are relative to each other in their height so individual adjustments are common, at least for me.

• Members

billybilly wrote:

I've found that many, if not most, production guitars and neck builders nut slots are way too high, warmoth is a good example of this.  I used to file the individual slots but more recently, have just been tapping the entire nut out and taking the base down.  Basically, I clean off and debris where it has been, lay down some sand paper on a flat surface and take the desired amount off the bottom of the nut.  Take a little off, place it back on the guitar to check and repeat to desired height.  From here, just a little tite bond (wood glue) and tighten the strings which act as a clamp.  Not rocket science and far easier than taking down the individual slots.  The end.

I do the same thing. I put Graph Tech Tusq or Tusq XL nuts in all my guitars, and I just sand down the bottom of the nut if the strings are too high. So far its working well for me.

• Members

peskypesky wrote:

I do the same thing. I put Graph Tech Tusq or Tusq XL nuts in all my guitars, and I just sand down the bottom of the nut if the strings are too high. So far its working well for me.

Well there's no doubt about then, you're a genius.  :smileyhappy:

Archived