what was the first effect pedal you bought?

GreatDane

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion.  Bought it new from the long defunct Capital Music Supply and sold it long ago.  Acquired it mainly because I read an interview with Kurt Cobain and he said that's what he used at the time.  *facepalm*  

Or might have been a Dunlop Crybaby wah.  I can't remember for sure.  Bought the wah from a friend for $40.  Still have it and still works like a charm.  Have replaced the pot, power jack, and switch to convert it to true bypass.  

• Members

I bought a DOD Overdrive 250 because it was $19. That was the cheap imitation guitar players bought when they couldn't afford an MXR Distortion+. I still have it 32 years later and it still sounds as harsh and painful now as it did then. I don't understand why people want that pedal and consider it vintage. Just about any overdrive made today blows that 250 out of the water.

• Members

I bought 120 of them on my first puchase! I thought I might as well get them all in one package.

DigiTech RP255 DSC00901.jpg

DigiTech RP255 Guitar Multi-effects Pedal Features:

• 20-second looper
  • 94 amps, cabinets, stompboxes and effects
  • 24 amp/acoustic types
  • 15 cabinet types
  • Lexicon reverbs
  • 30 tone and 30 effects libraries
  • 120 presets (50 factory, 50 user)
  • Up to five seconds of delay time

• Members

Univox Super Fuzz (The orange with blue pedal).  I don't remember where I got it, but it had to have been cheap.  I got either traded it or sold it to Black Market Music (later Uni-Vibe) in Walnut Creek, CA.  It made horrible squelching noise and was uncontrollable so I figured it was broken.  Also, I didn't play lead yet, so it just sounded like muddy **bleep**.  I used to just dime all the knobs on everything, and wire my pickups directly to the input jack.  We didn't have the internet back then.  I didn't know that it was supposed to sound like that, and that sound was cool!  Can't believe what they go for now, and I'd love to have another one, but not for the going price.  I'll wait a couple years, when the Black Keys and White Stripes aren't cool anymore, and buy one :)

• Members

A Dunlop 535Q wah that I saved up for a long time. It's a great wah, but I hate the 'toe-down' activation that Dunlop wahs use. Sometimes I'd be playing, thinking 'why does this sound so tinny and thin?', not realizing I hadn't stepped on it hard enough and the wah was still in it's highest position.

I eventually sold it.

• Members

It was a Barber Direct Drive. I learned about it from reading this forum.

I needed it because I bought a Twin Reverb Reissue off this forum.

I bought the Twin because I was convinced that was what Keith Richards played through (most likely because of this forum).

Having subsequently wised up about the usefulness of nuclear reactor-grade noiseboxes in apartments, I have relegated the Twin to my dad's house.

But the Direct Drive still has a proud place on my pedalboard. So, uh, thanks, guys.

• Members

Felix959 wrote:

It was a Barber Direct Drive. I learned about it from reading this forum.

I needed it because I bought a Twin Reverb Reissue off this forum.

I bought the Twin because I was convinced that was what Keith Richards played through (most likely because of this forum).

Having subsequently wised up about the usefulness of nuclear reactor-grade noiseboxes in apartments, I have relegated the Twin to my dad's house.

But the Direct Drive still has a proud place on my pedalboard. So, uh, thanks, guys.

i think the direct drive is one of my favorite OD/distortion pedals.  it sounds amazing through everything, IMO.

Archived