Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

what was the first effect pedal you bought?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was either an MXR Phase 90 or an Echoplex. It may have been the Echoplex, because I got it really cheap, and even then I got ripped off, because I could never get the **bleep** thing to work.

Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
    Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

Rocktek overdrive pedal. At the time I thought it was a steal... Still have it just for the nostalgia
      WTB: Seymour Duncan Convertible Amp Modules. If you have any modules, please PM me with your asking price. Thank You

Good Traders: drivelikejoewho, BluesTuesday

Proud member of the Epiphone Empire

Comment

• twisty571
        twisty571 commented
        Editing a comment

A Bad Monkey as suggested by this forum when I 1st joined. I thought I didn't like it but honestly I didn't give it a chance or I did but was using with the wrong kind of amp,I had a clean amp with no gain to it.

• humbuckerstrat
        humbuckerstrat commented
        Editing a comment

D-log wrote:
        Rocktek overdrive pedal. At the time I thought it was a steal... Still have it just for the nostalgia

The first pedal I got was a Rocktek Compressor in the late '90s. I still have it

Rocktek Compressor.JPG

Attached Files

Boss DS-1 and Boss Flanger. Bought in Atlanta in 1981.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Mesa Boogie Road King II
      Carvin 2x12 cab
      Egnater Rebel 30 Combo
      Fender FSR Standard Black
      Schecter Hellraiser Black Cherry
      Ibanez RG570 Blue
      Ibanez AR200 Red Wine
      Gretsch G5120 Orange
      Hofner Shorty White
      Musket > Morley Bad Horsie > DynaComp > FullDrive 2 > BBE Green Screamer > EH POG2 > Ernie Ball Volume > Amp
      Loop EFX: Line 6 M9

Comment

• aj_guitarist
        aj_guitarist commented
        Editing a comment

Boss SD-1 - Still have it.

Before then i got given a marshall shredmaster (one of the greatest pedals ever made) and a BOSS CS-4.

The DOD Grunge!!

Good dealings with ~dcindc x2~alleytrash~ashasha~jjegg~Yavin

Comment

Ibanez Soundtank Powerlead. I still have it somewhere. I honestly used it more for the crunchy tone it had for rhythm than for soloing. When I bought a new amp, I made sure it sounded like that pedal. 

Comment

My first pedal....  my dad bought it for me in 1982 when I was 12...

Foxx Fuzz Wah and Volume!!

[IMG]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q126/davecooper36/Pedals/DSC05069.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q126/davecooper36/Pedals/DSC05070.jpg[/IMG] 

But I don't know how to post pics of em in this new format..  

"Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans..."
          - John Lennon
          Videos of me playing guitar!

My original music

Stupid, meaningless HC clubs I'm a PROUD member of:
          Epiphone Empire
          F-Holes (Semi-Hollow and Hollowbody owners)
          Marshall Circle of Tone
          SG ARMY

Comment

• axegrinder
            axegrinder commented
            Editing a comment

Back in 1982... I didn't buy my first pedal.  My girlfriend's step brother stole it and gave it to me.

It was totally the wrong thing to do, but his heart was in the right place.

I had just tried it out in a music store even though I had no money.  I was the only one with a driver's license and we were waiting in the car wondering WTF is he doing.  He came running out of the store, jumped in the car and told us to hurry.  "Why?"  Then he proudly pulled the pedal out of his jacket pocket.  I was driving my girlfriend's dad's Chevy Blazer while his step son is stealing s.hit and giving it to me.  I was in a quandry and just went with it.

Fast forward to 1994 or 1995.  I had quit playing for a few years.  I'd already replaced the pedal with a ProCo Rat, so it was of no use to me.  I just gave it to a coworker's son who was starting out on guitar.  A vintage MXR pedal would probably fetch me good money today, but oh well- I paid it forward, errr something like that.

MXR Distortion +

Attached Files

Boss overdrive.
          ................The REAL Brah

Good trades/deals with: Fusion1, SOLARPIMP, Lonnie99, twotimingpete, Tupelo Sun, moon shadow, Florbastang, shooter 123, Wolfboy1, almost enough, meowy, ntmo, lovellintn, fulcrumpoint, matt rhoades, kojdogg, cadfael, Daveydude, DaveAronow, Smithshred

Comment

Back in 1990 a buddy sold me his Butler RealTube pedal, which I still have.  A few years ago I dug it back out and found it all crackly and fizzy/harsh sounding, so I used some Deoxit and replaced the original 12Ax7 tube with a NOS 12AU7, and it sounds pretty d@mned good. 

RealTube

Of course I rarely use individual pedals anymore (in favor of my Rocktron Utopia G300), so the RealTube sits in a drawer, whining like a lonely puppy.  :manwink:

Attached Files
            Vintage Sunburst Epi Dot Dlx: Seth Lover set | Red MIM Strat: Tonerider City Limits set; Deaf Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch | 3TS Classic Vibe 60s Strat: Deaf Eddie Chromacaster switch | Ibanez SZ520QM: Dimarzio Bluesbucker & Air Zone | Fender Sonoran Bucket acoustic-electric | Fender Super Champ XD: Eminence Ragin' Cajun; JJ Tubes | Fender G-Dec III 30: Eminence Ragin' Cajun

Comment

• GreatDane
              GreatDane commented
              Editing a comment

wow, some of you guys really scored excellent pedals as their first.  impressive!

My first pedal was a Big Muff, because Mudhoney. It was the NY resissue version, and it was nice, but Ieventrually traded it because I like mids.

Spam:
            Peavey Classic 30 - http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...3#post42751063

Comment

• grungehack
              grungehack commented
              Editing a comment
              Crybaby, Boss Flanger & Delay. Don't know which ones, they were bought around '99

Boss SD-1, still gets a place on my pedalboard now and again.

sd1.jpg

Attached Files
            My band, Hard Luck Street

Comment

I know the answer to this

It was a DOD Chorus pedal.

Still have it.

Very rarely even touch it.

A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
              HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
              Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
              I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

My first pedal was an MXR Phase 90 because I wanted to be Eddie Van Halen.

Comment

• 1001gear
                  1001gear commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This. FX53_zpsbe876ba7 photo FX53_zpsbe876ba7.jpgHas great tone but is lacking in treble/clarity and s/n ratio.

Coloursound Tone Bender Fuzz - cost more than a weeks wages used, even back in the 70s, and followed shortly by an Italian Jen Crybaby. I still have both, although the wah needs the switch under the pedal replacing.
                http://tertl.blogspot.com - The Blog of the Ancient Mariner

Grumpy old man from the Yew Kay.

WTB Emi Ramrod

Dirty 30 AC30 Crew

Good deals with Darxcide, MetalheadUK, Farmer Geddon, Lanefair, Chris006, ChrisB, Zoidberg, Uncle Psychosis, Krashpad, Loobs, stevemcb, Prauny, Benecol, Muttz, axis player, Ratae Coritanorum.

Comment

Crybaby. Still use it.

Comment

1998.  Played through middle school and high school with the Ibanez PT3 and Crybaby I got for Christmas, then in college I saw this:

BMP

Attached Files
                    I'm a longtime lurker.The SpeNerdsSpenard's Premier Instrumental Surf Trio!

Comment

Working...
                    X