This pisses me off (misleading Ebay content)

bjcarl

• Members

I realize that this is probably an excellent guitar, and the name on the headstock doesn't really mean anything(especially in this case), but does anyone else see anything wrong with this Ebay listing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1988-Fender-Stratocaster-Made-Japan-/150984287883?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D142%26meid%3D5222629552702340107%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D1076%26rk%3D5%26sd%3D111006412642%26

• Members

GilmourD wrote:

LOL "Vintage". And the title doesn't say it's a Squier.

That said, I would buy an MIJ Squier in an instant for the right price.

Totally...some would argue that a MIJ Squier from the 80's is the equivelant of a MIA Fender from today...whether they're right or not isn't the point-it's a Squier, not a Fender.  That's some Craigslist-style BS that would get your ad pulled back in the day.

I'd also be all over a MIJ Squier strat and wouldn't be surprised to see it go for $500+, but it still pisses me off...

• Members

bjcarl wrote:

I realize that this is probably an excellent guitar, and the name on the headstock doesn't really mean anything(especially in this case), but does anyone else see anything wrong with this Ebay listing?

Yes.  What is wrong is that shipping is quoted at $44.88 at the top, then in the questions section it says shipping is $169.  We now know why the last buyer didn't pay, and the item is relisted.  It does say it's a Squier in the description, in big blue letters.  Maybe not the main title you click on, but it's not misleading.  Current bid looks about right.  I knew a guy with one of those, and it was exactly as good as any other Squier.  Hope no one falls for the MIJ tagline and overspend.

• Members

bjcarl wrote:

that's annoying.  

true story: a while back, i bought a guitar from a guy on a popular forum who indicated i was buying a MIJ Fender Strat.  when it arrived, i realized it was a Squier and contacted him immediately to demand my money back.  he made good on his "oversight", but told me that it didn't matter that it said "squier" on the headstock because it was "essentially the same thing".

yeah, i guess... :facepalm:

• Members

GreatDane wrote:

that's annoying.  

true story: a while back, i bought a guitar from a guy on a popular forum who indicated i was buying a MIJ Fender Strat.  when it arrived, i realized it was a Squier and contacted him immediately to demand my money back.  he made good on his "oversight", but told me that it didn't matter that it said "squier" on the headstock because it was "essentially the same thing".

yeah, i guess... 
facepalm

The original JV strats had a big Fender logo and a small Squier Series logo. These guitars were so well made that Fender had them changed to a large Squier Stratocaster and small by Fender.

Fender

Squier

If the serial numbers started with JV then the guitars were indeed the same thing.

I have one of the original '82 JV (Fender logo) and a friend of mine has an '83 JV (Squier logo) and except for the color, the guitars are identical.

Archived