Tone tip from Stew Mac

gardo

• Members

I had this mod done on my '76 Telecaster Custom when I needed a couple pots replaced (a Non-Reissue '72 Tele Custom except it was built in '76). It seemed like a cool idea and in demo at the shop it sounded really good. 

When I got the guitar back to the gig, I soon HATED that mod! What sounds good in the store can be a whole 'nuther can o' worms at the gig.

Yes, it functioned correctly, but I was accustomed to losing some top end and definition when I backed down on the volume. I found that I really missed that loss of presence when I dialed it back. When I turn it down, I WANT to stand out less. 

I guess it really boils down to it not being what I was used to. The mod could be something completely fantastic to some players. I thought that I would like it and I even thought it sounded fantastic in the store. 

Please understand, I am not disagreeing or shooting down the mod. I am just sharing my experience and my personal opinion about it. I'm sure that there are many who will think that the mod is completely fantastic in every way, and they have every right to feel that way. I'm just reminding any readers that what may seem like a shortcoming in standard guitar wiring may ultimately be something you have completely adjusted to and even use it to your advantage without even realizing it. Jeff Healey made his shortcoming work to his advantage and he was able to do things on guitar that players who played the normal way physically could not do. 

It is an easily reversible mod, so no harm done. That clip-on installation would allow using it for a few gigs and making the decision if it is what you really want without having to undo any work on your guitar. I only shared my personal view to maybe save some people some time if they do this mod and find that can't quite get used to it. It is only my personal view. I am not calling anybody or anything wrong.

• Members

Nine Toes wrote:

I had this mod done on my '76 Telecaster Custom when I needed a couple pots replaced (a Non-Reissue '72 Tele Custom except it was built in '76). It seemed like a cool idea and in demo at the shop it sounded really good. 

When I got the guitar back to the gig, I soon HATED that mod! What sounds good in the store can be a whole 'nuther can o' worms at the gig.

Yes, it functioned correctly, but I was accustomed to losing some top end and definition when I backed down on the volume. I found that I really missed that loss of presence when I dialed it back. When I turn it down, I WANT to stand out less. 

I guess it really boils down to it not being what I was used to. The mod could be something completely fantastic to some players. I thought that I would like it and I even thought it sounded fantastic in the store. 

Please understand, I am not disagreeing or shooting down the mod. I am just sharing my experience and my personal opinion about it. I'm sure that there are many who will think that the mod is completely fantastic in every way, and they have every right to feel that way. I'm just reminding any readers that what may seem like a shortcoming in standard guitar wiring may ultimately be something you have completely adjusted to and even use it to your advantage without even realizing it. Jeff Healey made his shortcoming work to his advantage and he was able to do things on guitar that players who played the normal way physically could not do. 

It is an easily reversible mod, so no harm done. That clip-on installation would allow using it for a few gigs and making the decision if it is what you really want without having to undo any work on your guitar. I only shared my personal view to maybe save some people some time if they do this mod and find that can't quite get used to it. It is only my personal view. I am not calling anybody or anything wrong.

I'm kind of with you on this. I see the point of a treble bleed, and understand why someone would like it, but it's not something I would ever do, because I actually prefer the way a guitar sounds with that treble rolloff. Full on always sounds too harsh to me. It doesn't matter what I'm playing, I just don't like the way a guitar sounds with the volume (or tone, for that matter) on 10. Even in that video, when they guy rolled off the volume and said he sounded worse, I thought he sounded better. It's definately not a mod for everyone.

• Members

not  afan. I like some highend  rolloff when im cranked Tele  through a bright ass twin reverb. 

i have a better tip: dont play gretsch's

this is definitely worth trying though, like everyone should try 50s-fezz parka wiring too. But its not a cure-all.

I know Elliot Easton has all his guitars wired with this mod, so he likes it. 

its also called a volume kit.

Archived