Scalloped neck... Does it bring the value of a guitar up or down?

LikeTheSalt

• Members

Hey all,

I'm planning on selling a guitar, but I'm not sure how to go about pricing it.  After a 10 year hiatus from guitar playing, I'm trying to get back into it.  I used to buy way too much gear just because I was young, had the money, and the mood hit me.  This left me with a 2001 MiM Strat that I sent off to have the neck professionally scalloped.  It was pretty foolish looking back, but oh well.

Question is, does having a scalloped neck bring the value of the guitar down?  What could I expect to get for something like this?  I am also planning on selling a '97 California Series Strat, but I'm not exactly sure what they go for.  I've checked eBay, but I'm not really having luck finding much besides parts.

I'm new here, so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks for the help.

• Members

It depends.  Overall, I'd say it brings the value down.  But if you happen to find a person who wants THAT guitar AND prefers a scalloped neck, then you might get more.  But finding that buyer may be difficult. 

• Members

Chad wrote:

It depends.  Overall, I'd say it brings the value down.  But if you happen to find a person who wants THAT guitar AND prefers a scalloped neck, then you might get more.  But finding that buyer may be difficult. 

This.

There's a very limited market for scalloped necks, and that limits your ability to sell for a price that's acceptable to you. But if you're patient and keep at it, you'll find a willing buyer eventually. Malmsteen and Blackmore fans are your first targets, I would assume.

• Members

LikeTheSalt wrote:

Hey all,

I'm planning on selling a guitar, but I'm not sure how to go about pricing it.  After a 10 year hiatus from guitar playing, I'm trying to get back into it.  I used to buy way too much gear just because I was young, had the money, and the mood hit me.  This left me with a 2001 MiM Strat that I sent off to have the neck professionally scalloped.  It was pretty foolish looking back, but oh well.

Question is, does having a scalloped neck bring the value of the guitar down?  What could I expect to get for something like this?  I am also planning on selling a '97 California Series Strat, but I'm not exactly sure what they go for.  I've checked eBay, but I'm not really having luck finding much besides parts.

I'm new here, so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks for the help.

Well I do think MIM Strats can be found pretty cheap in the 1st place ,I have several and they are great players almost as good as some USA Made ones.

You just have to find the right buyer for a scalloped neck,I have a YJM Sig and After getting used to it love to play it.

Archived