STANDARD

xrleroyx

• Members

I'm going to rant for a minute. This was brought up in my Marketing Research class.

There are too many choices for everything. I went to my local grocery store and counted 23 kinds of mustard. Like, seriously what the {censored}?

Relating to guitar, when I see "standard", I expect a standardized model of a guitar. I don't know what makes a LP standard or an American Standard Tele or Strat. I just don't think that exists right now. I don't want a

"Gibson Les Paul Standard 1963 spec re-issue 50's carve traditional pro plus supreme". 

• Members

xrleroyx wrote:

Relating to guitar, when I see "standard", I expect a standardized model of a guitar. I don't know what makes a LP standard or an American Standard Tele or Strat. I just don't think that exists right now.

i guess an LP Traditional would be a standard for the sake of continuity, and then all the other models be extras. 

• Members

I think variety is nice in a lot of situations. It provides freedom and originality. For instance, with guitars, it gives two people the opportunity to have to guitars that are very similar and very different at the same time, and I think that's great. Whether it's through sound or appearance it lets you do your own thing.

When it comes to stuff like mustard, I don't see the point. 

• Members

xrleroyx wrote:

I'm going to rant for a minute. This was brought up in my Marketing Research class.

There are too many choices for everything. I went to my local grocery store and counted 23 kinds of mustard. Like, seriously what the {censored}?

Relating to guitar, when I see "standard", I expect a standardized model of a guitar. I don't know what makes a LP standard or an American Standard Tele or Strat. I just don't think that exists right now. I don't want a

"Gibson Les Paul Standard 1963 spec re-issue 50's carve traditional pro plus supreme". 

It's a marketing ploy designed to confuse people like you and then to make you spend more money than you had originally planned

• Members

gardo wrote:

xrleroyx wrote:

It's a marketing ploy designed to confuse people like you and then to make you spend more money than you had originally planned

Literally what I said

• Members

I think for Gibson "standard" means the new standard, ie.top of the line, what everything else is aspiring to(as in, setting a new standard). With Fender, I think it means bottom rung of the top of the line(as in, the most basic).

Archived