How do you get motivated?

Zledi

• Members

To play on a regular consistent basis? Especially on your own.

I haven't played much guitar for the last year and a half or so. I want to get back into it, but I have a hard time getting motivated and excited to play.

I think my biggest issue is having no one to jam with after 6 years of playing and I've gotten burnt out on playing by myself/just learning new songs.

Any advice or similar experiences?

• Members

How can you not be motivated? I play 4-6 hours every day, and it's not uncommon for me to have a guitar in my hands for an entire Saturday while watching football or basketball on TV. I just can't get enough. I'm addicted to the tone, the feel of a guitar in my hands, and the whole creative process that goes along with it. I try lots of new chords, make up riffs, record them on my iPad, and then turn the good ones into full songs. If I get in a rut, I grab a 12 stringer or my Spider Capo. Sometimes I try alternate tunings or hook up a couple of amps in stereo. So little time. So many guitars!

• Members

I don't know if there is a "way" to or not.   I think you either want to play or you don't.   I don't have much trouble wanting to play but there are times where other things take my focus.  Being a drummer doesn't help either.  I don't stress about the times I don't play, but there always comes a point where I start to really feel the need to play guitar.

I suppose a lot of it for me personally is not really about "learning guitar" per se.....but using the guitar as a vehicle to song write.  But that in and of itself isn't a "way" to get motivated.  Someone wanting to master a scale or riff or solo..whatever...will have the same kind of motivation. 

• Members

I think I've just gone through a slump of being busy for the first year of living on my own and dealing with all hte challenges of life that brings.

Recently buying a new guitar and getting a new amp soon is motivating me a lot already. I know that having gear I actually like will make a big difference. I unfortunately do not have access to an open mic or anything like that in my area.

• Members

There's a saying I learned a few years ago that I'll probably mangle, but here's the gist of it: When you enjoy doing something, you simply make time to do it.

That is a response to people (like me) who often say they don't have enough time or motivation to do things because real life stuff gets in the way. The point of it is that if it's important to you, you'll find a way to make it fit, even if you're working two jobs, raising a family, or going to school full time. If you love it, you just find ways to fit it into your busy life.

Do what you love to do whenever you get the chance.  Readers read. Writers write. Musicians make music. Et cetera.

The way to make it part of your DNA, so to speak, is to think about it a lot. Obsess about it. Spend whatever bits of free time you have with it.

One specific thing I've done: Keep a guitar handy at all times, so you can grab it and play something in a matter of seconds, if only for a minute or two. I find that accessibility helps me a lot. Sometimes the ritual of getting a guitar out and setting up is a pain. Try to streamline that process down as much as possible so it's just you and the guitar.

• Members

Every morning, I wake up, and I look at my AWESOME self in the mirror. I think, out of the billions of people I could have been, I hit the human jackpot by getting to be born me! So then naturally, I have to continue to do everything in power to remain worthy of my badass self. I have to say it's not always easy. I'm a pretty high standard to have to try to live up to every day.

Some of y'all will undoubtedly think this post is a joke. I feel sorry for you because you will never know the awesomeness and wonder of what it is like to be me. All you can do is guess. I can tell you that no matter how great you are thinking it would be, you are not even close. It is a million times better than that

So, THAT is how I stay motivated. I get the honor of getting to be ME every day. Y'all poor slobs don't. Mojo sent.

• Members

DaveAronow wrote:

Every morning, I wake up, and I look at my AWESOME self in the mirror. I think, out of the billions of people I could have been, I hit the human jackpot by getting to be born me! So then naturally, I have to continue to do everything in power to remain worthy of my badass self. I have to say it's not always easy. I'm a pretty high standard to have to try to live up to every day.

Some of y'all will undoubtedly think this post is a joke. I feel sorry for you because you will never know the awesomeness and wonder of what it is like to be me. All you can do is guess. I can tell you that no matter how great you are thinking it would be, you are not even close. It is a million times better than that

So, THAT is how I stay motivated. I get the honor of getting to be ME every day. Y'all poor slobs don't. Mojo sent.

With all due respect man, I get to be ME everyday! So I don't think I'm missing out This is my favorite answer so far though!

I think getting a guitar/amp I actually want to play is going to help me a lot as well as moving into my own place and having my own space to play in and make my guitar more accessible.

• Members

docjeffrey wrote:

How can you
not
be motivated? I play 4-6 hours every day, and it's not uncommon for me to have a guitar in my hands for an entire Saturday while watching football or basketball on TV. I just can't get enough. I'm addicted to the tone, the feel of a guitar in my hands, and the whole creative process that goes along with it. I try lots of new chords, make up riffs, record them on my iPad, and then turn the good ones into full songs. If I get in a rut, I grab a 12 stringer or my Spider Capo. Sometimes I try alternate tunings or hook up a couple of amps in stereo. So little time. So many guitars!

You're wonderful.

• Members

DaveAronow wrote:

worthy

Archived