Just got back from an acoustic guitar shop...

billybilly

• Members

I'm getting back into acoustic and recently, purchased a seagull sws series guitar and while its good, I can't bond with the neck so this time, I went to the shop and tried every guitar out up to $3000.  Taylors, Martins, Gibsons, Tanglewood, Matons, imports such as Ibanez, Takamine etc...

The winner, a Cole Clark made of solid blackwood body and bunya top.  Second was the Cole Clark made of solid blackwood body and spruce top.  I've always overlooked them as they are made here.  I know, that seems silly but you get that.  Regardless, if you every have the chance to try a Cole Clark acoustic out, give them a whirl.  Looks like I'll be getting one once I sell a couple of axes.  It'll cost me about $1500 but once you have strummed on, you are ruined for others.

• Members

billybilly wrote:

I'm getting back into acoustic and recently, purchased a seagull sws series guitar and while its good, I can't bond with the neck so this time, I went to the shop and tried every guitar out up to $3000.  Taylors, Martins, Gibsons, Tanglewood, Matons, imports such as Ibanez, Takamine etc...

The winner, a Cole Clark made of solid blackwood body and bunya top.  Second was the Cole Clark made of solid blackwood body and spruce top.  I've always overlooked them as they are made here.  I know, that seems silly but you get that.  Regardless, if you every have the chance to try a Cole Clark acoustic out, give them a whirl.  Looks like I'll be getting one once I sell a couple of axes.  It'll cost me about $1500 but once you have strummed on, you are ruined for others.

congratulations on finding your acoustic!  i think mistersully has a cole clark as well, and he seemed to really like it as well.  pics would be great when you get a chance.  

• Members

GreatDane wrote:

congratulations on finding your acoustic!  i think mistersully has a cole clark as well, and he seemed to really like it as well.  pics would be great when you get a chance.  

That's right he did get one.  I'll have to check his posts to see what model he went with for curiosity sake.  I'll have to sell a couple of axes to fund it but will post pics for sure when she comes.  Cheers.

EDIT:  Just found mistersully's, lol, it's the same model but with different woods.

• Members

cool... when i bought mine i very nearly got one with blackwood body and bunya top... the one that won for me though (after playing a LOT of cole clarks) has a spruce top with rosewood back and sides

cc

cc2

even though the pickup system is great, i've since installed an LR Baggs soundhole pickup too... so the guitar has two outputs... it's a very common setup (john butler does something similar) if you want to use fuzz/overdrive etc, which doesn't sound great with the piezo setup

i do really like mine acoustically too though... has a lovely tone and plays great... for recording i often use the soundhole pickup into my kemper, D.I the piezo system and mic the guitar up with one or two mics... then blend the tracks to taste

• Members

mistersully wrote:

cool... when i bought mine i very nearly got one with blackwood body and bunya top... the one that won for me though (after playing a LOT of cole clarks) has a spruce top with rosewood back and sides

even though the pickup system is great, i've since installed an LR Baggs soundhole pickup too... so the guitar has two outputs... it's a very common setup (john butler does something similar) if you want to use fuzz/overdrive etc, which doesn't sound great with the piezo setup

i do really like mine acoustically too though... has a lovely tone and plays great... for recording i often use the soundhole pickup into my kemper, D.I the piezo system and mic the guitar up with one or two mics... then blend the tracks to taste

It's a thing of art your guitar.  I have completely over-looked the Cole Clark's.  In a side by side comparison with the Matons, they just sounded more even across the sound spectrum and sweeter.  The Matons seemed to have too much treble response and not enough body, I played a few too.  I might seek out a rosewood spruce to have a go with, they didn't have one at the shop I went to, only blackwoood spruce and blackwood bunya.  The bunya was warmer although the spruce more articulate.

Archived