Time for me to dive into nut and fret work-need tools recc

Pine Apple Slim

• Members
I've been doing my own setups for years, with the exception of nut and fret work.
But I have a couple of cheap necks going in projects so now is the time I need to start learning how to do that as well.
Level, crown, and polish the frets and smooth the fret ends, install nicer nuts, or at least work on the existing ones for optimum feel and playability.

So I need some tools, but fret and nut files in particular, are expensive. I'm hesitant to order because I really don't know what I really need. There seems to be quite a bit of variation in the type of fret files sold, and those nut file sets are super expensive so I'd like to get it right the first time, and not order nut files I'm unlikely to need any time soon.

I have a nice & flat piece of corian that I plan to use as my fret leveler, but unsure which fret file to buy to crown these, likewise nut files(use 10 ga strings).

These 2 project necks have what I would classify as med jumbo frets. One is an old teleish Rogue copy, the other is a GFS replacement tele neck. They are close in size but the Rogue frets may be a hair smaller. I would like a crowning file optimal for those.

What fret file and set of nut files would ya'll recommend I purchase?
Any other good suorces besides StewMac, perhaps a little less pricy?

teleforumnoob is online now Report Post  

Archived