Anyone tried Eyparts own brand pickups?

danswon

• Members

I had one of those Artec Hot rails in neck position once. Didnt like it.It was to woolly and dark and a bit muddy.Maybe it has to do with them having alinco magnets.If you look at all the hot rails types from Duncan,Dimarzio they use ceramic not Alinico.I think those type of pickups work best with ceramics.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stratotak

View Post

I had one of those Artec Hot rails in neck position once. Didnt like it.It was to woolly and dark and a bit muddy.Maybe it has to do with them having alinco magnets.If you look at all the hot rails types from Duncan,Dimarzio they use ceramic not Alinico.I think those type of pickups work best with ceramics.

Yeah I've heard that before about them. I've got one about to go in the middle of a Yamaha strat type, so my plan is to wire it in parallel.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by stratotak View Post
Maybe you didn't look at the specs in the OP?

hot?

• Members

Never tried them myself or any of the other cheaper brand ones either, but have thought about it in the past! Thing is that I have never liked any of the Duncan rails I have tried and I love the four Dimarzio ones I have so I just stick to them when I need another one. As much as I like buckers and single coils for certain things the Dimarzio rail pickups have become my number one favorite pickups out there. They cover every sound I am after. Have a Tone Zone T coming in the mail for my Tele and can't wait to hear how it will sound.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thecornman View Post
Never tried them myself or any of the other cheaper brand ones either, but have thought about it in the past! Thing is that I have never liked any of the Duncan rails I have tried and I love the four Dimarzio ones I have so I just stick to them when I need another one. As much as I like buckers and single coils for certain things the Dimarzio rail pickups have become my number one favorite pickups out there. They cover every sound I am after. Have a Tone Zone T coming in the mail for my Tele and can't wait to hear how it will sound.
I've heard that before - if I had the money for Duncan or Dimarzio I'd definitely go with Dimarzio for rails, from everything I've heard.

Entwistle are good pups, Artecs are decent, waiting to see how my Powered By Lace 'buckers will do, Wilkinson stuff is okay......but I really want to know about their house brand. If it's the same as the Artec stuff (as I suspect) then I'll buy that instead. I'm not looking for boutique tone, just something that sounds decent for the lowest possible price.

• Members

this is the cheapest strat rails pickup i could find http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUMBUCKER-...ht_3092wt_1163
look exactly like the artecs

ok thanks PunkKitty i'll have a look! smile.gif

edit: just looked. cheers but i'm really just looking for single-sized buckers for this guitar. it's only routed for s/s/s and i'm not gonna start tearing it up

• 3 months later...
  • Members

fyi: I picked up a set of Nashvilles a couple years ago, when Guitarfuel was the US distributor.  They came with chromed, flat rings (require some bodging for archtop installation), sound great in my Gretsch 3161 (replacing the generic-sounding -- to me -- Nontron "Grestchbuckers").  Closer to the Filtertron sound than any other pickup I've heard that claims to duplicate the original (much more so than, e.g., any of the GFS Retrotrons I've hears sound samples of on the GFS site)

Meanwhile, I struck up email exchange with Alan Entwistle -- nice guy, friendly, accessible, he says anything labeled Entwistle from Eyeguitar is a pirate/knockoff/whatever.  Could explain their lower price and lack of rings.  I emailed eyeguitar to enquire about this, got no reply.

dw

Archived