Les Paul X?

lz4005

• Members

Looking through Phil's NAMM photos, this jumped out at me (couldn't link to his pic, this is from elsewhere):

fg

It seemed that most HC folks' objection to the Firebird X when it was released was due to its appearance. Is this any better?

My opinion: Unless you can do a full gig on one set of batteries, unlike the real-world performance of the Firebird X, it is still a non-functional product. I couldn't care less that it has three different kinds of knobs and four different colored switch-tips, but I can see that OCD folks would run screaming from the room when they see it.

• Members

it's a step up in looks but i don't like how each control is esthetically different. No doubt they did it to make it more obvious for player but it looks inconsistent. Also i haven't heard an effect on there that would make me swap my pedalboard for their own proprietory system. 

• Members

lz4005 wrote:

It seemed that most HC folks' objection to the Firebird X when it was released was due to its appearance.

No, that was only a portion of the objection. It was also horribly priced, nobody likes the idea of all-of-your sonic-eggs-in-one-basket, nobody was impressed with the sound quality of the effects, there were serious reliability/obselescence fears, the controls were unweildy... and it also happened to be ugly. This is less ugly, but everything else stands.

• Members

ermghoti II wrote:

No, that was only a portion of the objection. It was also horribly priced, nobody likes the idea of all-of-your sonic-eggs-in-one-basket, nobody was impressed with the sound quality of the effects, there were serious reliability/obselescence fears, the controls were unweildy... and it also happened to be ugly. This is less ugly, but everything else stands.

Yes, all those things were brought up, but those with aesthetic objections were, by far, the most vocal.

Which is ironic, because most of those other points are completely valid and logical, while the aesthetic one is purely subjective. There are so many bad things about the design of the X platform, appearance should be the least of them.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. HC people are almost always more concerned with how guitars look than how they work.

Archived