For all those Lespaulists out there... Do you prefer Plaintop or Flametop?

joecool1963

• Members

joecool1963 wrote:

Discuss!
:smileyvery-happy:

Posts with pics get bonus kudos!

both kinds have a special place in my heart.  what i most appreciate in either kind is a little "character".  

For example, take a look at the flame top on my '00 R9.  it's got flecks and streaks in the top that give it more "personality" IMO.

v

same with the plain tops.  here's my '97 LP from the old Custom Shop.  i really, really like the way this top looks.  it's hard for me to call it a plain top.

v

and i can't forget to include the solid-tops as well.  it's not always about translucent finishes, IMO.

v

v

• Members

If you rate tops from one to ten, mine would be a zero and I like it like that.

I'm sorry the photos aren't better...

Photo 261.jpg  

Photo 535.jpg

This is my main guitar and I don't mind setting it down anywhere.

It is a musical instrument and not a piece of furniture. It sounds and plays great and gets a lot of use both onstage and in the studio.

It was in a soft case in the back of a Jeep Cherokee that rolled and it got a few dings in it and that did not matter at all because it still works and that's all I care about.

• Members

I own 7 Les Pauls--3 flame, 4 plain. The best of the lot is a '60 Custom Shop Plaintop RI. Perfect weight, great neck, VOS finish, amazing balance in the tone. It's rich and thick, but the BB2 in the neck has plenty of bite and top end. I bought two of them based on aesthetics, but I'm over that now. I've learned exactly what I like in an LP, and it has little to do with looks.

Archived