which pickups for a 12 string electric?

wanderoo222

• Members

The 12 strings will give you plenty of jangle no matter what pickups you use. I would go ahead and try the Seth Lovers and spend some money on a good compressor if you don't have one. I have an older Aphex Punch Factory that I've had ever since I saw one on Johnny A's pedalboard. I asked him about it and he said he uses it on everything. Very transparent, subtle and effective. If you want Roger McGuinn-style compression, you'll have to go with a more aggressive unit.

My Epiphone Elitist Riviera 12 has a set of Gibson NY Mini humbuckers and they work really well. Lots of upper mids. What kind of amp are you using? I always think of Vox when I think of 12 stringers, but both my Rick and Epi sound best through my Tweed Deluxe with just a bit of dirt that pokes its head out when you hit the strings hard.

epi12.jpg

• Members

I'm using a stereo set uo with a tweaker 15 and a bugera v22. The bugera has some very nice cleans. A compressor is a great idea. I aso have a joyo ac tone pedal I haven't tried yet. I wanted the memphis pickups but I need the chrome set and the bridge is out of stock. So I emailed them.

• Members

I'm not as knowledgeable as the forum members above regarding recommendations for pickups, but I can tell you what I'm going to do to my Dean Boca that I purchased a couple of years ago.

I decided to install single coil pickups to get that "vintage" sound and have purchased from GFS the following:

A) (2) 4.9K Neck Position Pro-Tube Lipstick Chrome. According to GFS these fit a Strat mounts with no mods.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/49K-Neck-Position-Pro-Tube-Lipstick-Chrome_p_354.html#

B) (2) Humbucker Rout adapter ring- Fits Strat pickup- Straight- THREE COLORS (these enable you to mount a strat pickup into a standard Humbucker route. I got the angled ones instead of the straight.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Rout-adapter-ring-Fits-Strat-pickup-Straight-THREE-COLORS_p_4348.html

This will be my first pickup swap, but I'm looking forward to doing it. For your information the Dean Humbuckers are 2 wire and they use those mini connectors. The hardest part for me so far has been fishing out the wiring as the Dean Bocas are semi hollow bodied. I should have the project completed in about 2 weeks time and I'll post my results and maybe some clips of not so good playing.

Archived