Collapse
No announcement yet.

which pickups for a 12 string electric?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which pickups for a 12 string electric?

Getting a Dean boca any day now. I have a sert of seth lovers I wss thinking of installing. Any suggestions for pickups that sound jangly? Want to get as close to that Ric sound on th cheap! Thanks
    GOOD People to deal with : PunkKitty, LostGoonie,Cratz2,Albala, Ball&Chain,

I would take a look at the GFS Retrotrons or the Dream 180. They are less expensive than the SL's. But the SL is a great PAF. It's not very jangly. This is a case where GFS offers solutions that others don't.

Comment

• xStonr
      xStonr commented
      Editing a comment
      I would consider something that would retain the janglyness of the 12 string. Janglyness is why you got a 12 string in the first place right? PAF's would alter that. PK's recommendations are where I would look also.

Lollar Firebird

Comment

• wanderoo222
      wanderoo222 commented
      Editing a comment

Just saw GFS had the Double lipstick pickups. The  retrotron memphis had the best sounding clips though. But the are out nof stock ! Damn!

The 12 strings will give you plenty of jangle no matter what pickups you use. I would go ahead and try the Seth Lovers and spend some money on a good compressor if you don't have one. I have an older Aphex Punch Factory that I've had ever since I saw one on Johnny A's pedalboard. I asked him about it and he said he uses it on everything. Very transparent, subtle and effective. If you want Roger McGuinn-style compression, you'll have to go with a more aggressive unit.

My Epiphone Elitist Riviera 12 has a set of Gibson NY Mini humbuckers and they work really well. Lots of upper mids. What kind of amp are you using? I always think of Vox when I think of 12 stringers, but both my Rick and Epi sound best through my Tweed Deluxe with just a bit of dirt that pokes its head out when you hit the strings hard.

epi12.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

• bjcarl
      bjcarl commented
      Editing a comment
      Good suggestions above...adding one more: TV Jones Classic...I just installed one in a thinline tele and when things aren't full-on cranked, it's sparkly top-end would be perfect for jangle IMO.

I'm using a stereo set uo with a tweaker 15 and a bugera v22. The bugera has some very nice cleans. A compressor is a great idea. I aso have a joyo ac tone pedal I haven't tried yet. I wanted the memphis pickups but I need the chrome set and the bridge is out of stock. So I emailed them.

Comment

Should have bought the Italia Rimini for Ric jangle. For the cost of the Boca and pickups, you could have.

Comment

• RogerF
        RogerF commented
        Editing a comment

I'm not as knowledgeable as the forum members above regarding recommendations for pickups, but I can tell you what I'm going to do to my Dean Boca that I purchased a couple of years ago.

I decided to install single coil pickups to get that "vintage" sound and have purchased from GFS the following:

A) (2) 4.9K Neck Position Pro-Tube Lipstick Chrome. According to GFS these fit a Strat mounts with no mods.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/49K-Neck-Position-Pro-Tube-Lipstick-Chrome_p_354.html#

B) (2) Humbucker Rout adapter ring- Fits Strat pickup- Straight- THREE COLORS (these enable you to mount a strat pickup into a standard Humbucker route. I got the angled ones instead of the straight.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Rout-adapter-ring-Fits-Strat-pickup-Straight-THREE-COLORS_p_4348.html

This will be my first pickup swap, but I'm looking forward to doing it. For your information the Dean Humbuckers are 2 wire and they use those mini connectors. The hardest part for me so far has been fishing out the wiring as the Dean Bocas are semi hollow bodied. I should have the project completed in about 2 weeks time and I'll post my results and maybe some clips of not so good playing.

U might think so 6down1togo and i looked at the remini. But for less than 3 bills I got a lighty used boca.

Comment

Rogerf. Can't wait to hear those clips. Please keep me posted

Comment

• bjcarl
          bjcarl commented
          Editing a comment
          Without looking prices up, I'm pretty sure you can save a few hundred by purchasing a Boca and a couple of p'ups from Guitar Fetish vs. buying an Italia Rimini...

Working...
      X