Your first guitar?

batotman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A "Strat-o-lin" purchased from Woolworths Department Store, with a terrible little amp, for $70. Had strings like telephone poles and action so high a city bus could pass underneath. Probably long consumed in someone's fireplace during a harsh winter's night. ;)

~Blackbelt

• Members

Gibson doubleneck. EBO bass & SG guitar combo. Bought used in 1972 or thereabouts. Added some passive tone modyfying circuits useing caps & resistors to each side & replaced the guitar sides stock pups with dimarzios. Replaced tuners on both sides with I believe was gotohs. Blackcherry finish. Was 13'ish at the time, Traded it for gibson bicentenal issue thunderbird bass a little over a year later. Other kids in the area mainly played fenders, ricks, gibsons, & peaveys for guitars & basses.

• Members

POS Squier acoustic with the action literally a quarter inch off the fretboard (If you've setup a guitar before, you know that is {censored}ing high) Good thing I rented an electric, another POS Squier.. there was so much buzz I couldn't hear the notes, but at least I knew there were guitars out there that were playable! :(

• Members

I got my first guitar in 66 or 67. It was a Made in Spain ARIA classical guitar ..... my first electric came in 71. It was a Aria A-1932 SG copy. .... I've got some pics of it somewhere .... I'll see if I can't scan 'em and post 'em.

• Members

I got some POS, $15 Strat/Jaguar mutant copy...don't even know where it was made...for my first guitar. My parents got it for me at a garage sale when I was 15 (1978). I also got a $10, no-name, POS amplifier that was better at shocking the crap out of you than amplifying what I was playing.

My parents went this direction because they figured that me wanting to play guitar was just a passing fad and that I'd tire of it rather quickly...so they didn't want to be out a lot of money.

Well, to make a long story short...I played that POS every day for 3-5 hours for a year...my fingers bled, blistered, calloused, bled again, blistered again, calloused again...

When my 16th birthday was approaching, I asked my parents for a new guitar and amp...it didn't have to be anything spectacular, just something decent (at that stage anything would have been an improvement).

Imagine my surprise when on my 16th birthday my parents surprised me with a new, black-and-gold Gibson Les Paul Custom and a new Yamaha 30-watt amplifier. I guess in this case, persistance paid off.

27 years later, I'm still playing poorly...but I'm still playing. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Dean Medlock

I got some POS, $15 Strat/Jaguar mutant copy...don't even know where it was made...for my first guitar. My parents got it for me at a garage sale when I was 15 (1978). I also got a $10, no-name, POS amplifier that was better at shocking the crap out of you than amplifying what I was playing.

My parents went this direction because they figured that me wanting to play guitar was just a passing fad and that I'd tire of it rather quickly...so they didn't want to be out a lot of money.

Well, to make a long story short...I played that POS every day for 3-5 hours for a year...my fingers bled, blistered, calloused, bled again, blistered again, calloused again...

When my 16th birthday was approaching, I asked my parents for a new guitar and amp...it didn't have to be anything spectacular, just something decent (at that stage anything would have been an improvement).

Imagine my surprise when on my 16th birthday my parents surprised me with a new, black-and-gold Gibson Les Paul Custom and a new Yamaha 30-watt amplifier. I guess in this case, persistance paid off.

27 years later, I'm still playing poorly...but I'm still playing.
:D

LP Custom eh?

I think I speak for all of us when i say "{censored} YOU"!

Bastard! :D

Archived