Bugera BC15 - Anyone tried one?

calclown

• Members

They call it a tube amp, but they only mention the 12AX7 preamp tube... maybe it has a SS power amp section? Anyone know for sure?

You are correct - I did some Google snooping and found that out; can't remember where...maybe I read the MF description and decided for myself? :idk:

Either way, could be worth checking out at $99 bux.

• Members

This guy noodles around on one for about 4 minutes,

[YOUTUBE]v-1ArtTkGpc[/YOUTUBE]

Not sure what this little amps main competition is at the $100 mark. From the clips though, it sure sounds better then the fender frontman that runs about a $100 as well. :idk:

• Members

Not sure what this little amps main competition is at the $100 mark. From the clips though, it sure sounds better then the fender frontman that runs about a $100 as well.
:idk:

I'd take a Peavey Rage...an H&K Edition Blue...and from the clips I've heard...a Vox Pathfinder, over the tone in that video...

• Members

I reminds me a lot of my Kustom Tube 12 which also has a single 12AX7. Even has the "Shift" switch.

Probably made in the same factory.

I decided many years ago that since I was likely to spend most of my time with a small practice amp, I should save up and get a good one. I bought a Vox AC15TBX made in England. Eventually, I bought a bunch of other cool 15-20 watt amps because they work great with attenuators and I can gig with most of them. Some of them are one channel; others have two; but none of them are channel switching. They are old school, but they all sound wonderful and work great with pedals. For gigging, it's easy to take my Fender Tweed Deluxe and my Orange AD15/12. With an ABY switch, I have two of the best tones ever! Add in a couple of cool pedals and there's no end to the tones I can get.

Anyway, what I'm making a case for is this--yeah, go ahead and get the small Bugera for the time being, but save up for a really cool 15 to 20 watt Dr. Z, Top Hat, Matchless, Marshall, or other amp and get an attenuator for practicing. Even if you have to buy a big stack for gigging, you'll still have a cool smaller amp that will hold up in a jam session or smaller club.

Of all the small amps I own, this is my favorite. Marshall 1974x 18 watts.

marsh18.jpg

• Members

Not sure what this little amps main competition is at the $100 mark. From the clips though, it sure sounds better then the fender frontman that runs about a $100 as well.
:idk:

I dunno...tone sounds pretty good to me...maybe I'll call my GC and see if they have any or not...

• Members

Of all the small amps I own, this is my favorite. Marshall 1974x 18 watts.

I always love the clips you post of that one. I played one at a local store, and it really is an amazing amp.

Totally different from what the OP posted about, but a great amp.

I have the Kustom tube 12, and it's a fine practice amp, but that's all.

• Members

I'd take a Peavey Rage...an H&K Edition Blue...and from the clips I've heard...a Vox Pathfinder, over the tone in that video...

Steve,

with all due respect, I think you are biased... anything that has Behringer or Bugera will never sound good to your ears.... Frets demo of his Bugera V5 was pretty good, but for you, wasn't.... I have my suspicions that if he would have said that it was a Marshall without showing the amp, you would have like it.... :poke:

Anyways... I like this little amp, and for the price, it cannot be beat... I wish it would have reverb at that price!

:wave:

Omar :thu:

• Members

Of course you would. :D

I have the H&k edition blue 15r as well, and like it pretty well actually. Though those sold for $265 before the blow outs when we all picked them up. Not exactly apples and oranges.

• Members

Steve,

with all due respect, I think you are biased... anything that has Behringer or Bugera will never sound good to your ears.... Frets demo of his Bugera V5 was pretty good, but for you, wasn't.... I have my suspicions that if he would have said that it was a Marshall without showing the amp, you would have like it.... :poke:

Anyways... I like this little amp, and for the price, it cannot be beat... I wish it would have reverb at that price!

:wave:

Omar
:thu:

If you'll go back and read my 2 posts in Frets' thread, I did not care for the overdriven sound, but in my second post (after he posted a clean clip), I said I liked the clean tone he was getting out of it. So, if it sounds good...I'll say so. If it doesn't, then should I lie about it? That's crazy.

No, I do not care for Behringer/Bugera as a company, and do not do business with them. However, that does not mean that they cannot make a decent sounding product. My actual experience with the V22 was different than some here on the forums. I've talked about that extensively in other threads. Quite simply, I have not personally tried a Bugera amp that really sounded great. That's no skin off anyone's nose...just my experience.

In the discussion of how great the BC15 was "for the money,"...based solely on the single demo video provided...I listed three other amps in that price range that sound better to my ears than the BC15 did in the video. The BC15 is what it is...a cheap practice amp...just like the others I listed. I don't care for most Marshall amps in the 15 watt solid state category, either... In fact, there are very few smaller amps that sound good, IMO. Thus, the large amount of discussion in my thread about small amps.

I know that some do not share my opinion about Behringer...and that's fine. I just don't understand the serious over-hyping of anything new they come out with these days in the amp department. :idk:

• Members

Of course you would.
:D

I have the H&k edition blue 15r as well, and like it pretty well actually. Though those sold for $265 before the blow outs when we all picked them up. Not exactly apples and oranges.

I bought a 15r when they came out...the street price on them was $130-40...

• Members

guys, can we stay on topic? If anyone has heard this amp in person and has thoughts on THIS amp.

That youtube video is crap. I am probably the world's second worst guitar player behind the guy in that demo and that's why I didn't already post it.

Thanks!

• Members

Steve, seems to me that you are expecting a $100 practice amp, or any small practice amp for that matter, to sound like a Fender Twin. I think most people recognize that if you are paying $100 for an amp, they know it's going to have tonal limitations, but how severe those limitations are what's important.

I didn't care for they guys playing in that clip, but it seems to me that there are for sure some fair practice tones in there for $100.

The Fender Frontman 25r that sells in the same price range sounds really poor, so that is a fair comparison, as is the pathfinder and rage.

As far as "over hyped." That is a bit condescending. What you call over hyped, I call people being satisfied with their new gear and wanting to share info about it with a gear hungry community. It does seem that, for whatever reason, you can't let go of your strong dislike for the brand. And that is fine of course, it will just get noted each time a Bugera thread pops up I guess.

I bought a 15r when they came out...the street price on them was $130-40...

My mistake, must have been thinking MSRP, I do see them listed now for $150.

• Members

Steve, seems to me that you are expecting a $100 practice amp, or any small practice amp for that matter, to sound like a Fender Twin. I think most people recognize that if you are paying $100 for an amp, they know it's going to have tonal limitations, but how severe those limitations are what's important.

I didn't care for they guys playing in that clip, but it seems to me that there are for sure some fair practice tones in there for $100.

The Fender Frontman 25r that sells in the same price range sounds really poor, so that is a fair comparison, as is the pathfinder and rage.

As far as "over hyped." That is a bit condescending. What you call over hyped, I call people being satisfied with their new gear and wanting to share info about it with a gear hungry community. It does seem that, for whatever reason, you can't let go of your strong dislike for the brand. And that is fine of course, it will just get noted each time a Bugera thread pops up I guess.

I totally agree on the Fender Frontman series...they sound terrible...and I'm a big Fender fan... I was listing amps that were close/similar in price/specs. I'm not intending to be condescending at all...sorry if it comes across that way. I like cheaper priced gear as much as anyone. Most of my gear would probably fall in or near that category. Sure, there are some "practice tones" in there...I'm sure with the right tweaking, you could get a decent tone out of it. Like I said...I was going by the clip... I'm sure they will sell like crazy, but so do a lot of amps that I'm not a fan of...so at the end of the day, it's just my opinion...:idk: That, and $1 will get you a hamburger at mcdonald's...:D

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hi

In a nutshell this is one of the best practice amps I've owned in over 30 years! be it, blues, with vintage 60s beatles, kinks, stones..rock.modern whatever this amp will do it..it has a lovely warm clean sound to start with, & with a sensitive array of sounds on the palette easily tweaked with the simple eq that is accompanied with a midrange shift button, & seperate gain button to crunch this up a bit, I go mostly for the clean sounds with a little reverb or chorus, or rotary or whatever using a a vox stomplab 2g & its awesome it takes pedals really well...this amp uses a 12ax7 preamp tube only..but trust me this amp delivers!

The build quality is excellent! a nice leather handle..with a real nice  vintage design..& seems a real solid little amp, I would recommend this amp to anyone whatever style, for practice, or line it out for a gig, or mic it up, & is ideal for recording, as is really quiet with no humm or hiss, it's perfect, the price is absolutely amazing you can buy them new between

Archived