I can't hear myself on stage.

97bigapple

• Members

I play in church. I stand about two feet in front of my amp. I can't hear it from there. It is louder if I am further away from it, but I can't stand further away during the service. When I turn up where I can actually hear myself, the sound guy says it is too loud. When I turn down and then ask him to turn me up in my monitor, he says it is maxed already. I already have the amp tilted back. I may try an amp stand or turn the amp backwards toward the wall. Question: Are different speakers designed so that they can be heard from different distances? I was at a friend's birthday party a few years back. The band there had two guitarists. Each had a Marshall amp. But they were two different types of Marshalls. I could only hear one of them when I was in the audience. But when I was invited on stage to play a song(on the amp I couldn't hear), I could actually hear that amp quite well, but couldn't hear the other one at all. I mentioned it to the guitarist whose amp I played on and he said, "Yeah, it's those greenbacks." I appreciate any input in helping me solve my problem. Thanks!

• Members

You need a different(better) soundman, if you can find one. Few seem to know how to send guitar through the monitors. The problem may be that monitor speakers are not like guitar speakers. PS- our band never solved that problem either.

Archived