Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't hear myself on stage.

I play in church. I stand about two feet in front of my amp. I can't hear it from there. It is louder if I am further away from it, but I can't stand further away during the service. When I turn up where I can actually hear myself, the sound guy says it is too loud. When I turn down and then ask him to turn me up in my monitor, he says it is maxed already. I already have the amp tilted back. I may try an amp stand or turn the amp backwards toward the wall. Question: Are different speakers designed so that they can be heard from different distances? I was at a friend's birthday party a few years back. The band there had two guitarists. Each had a Marshall amp. But they were two different types of Marshalls. I could only hear one of them when I was in the audience. But when I was invited on stage to play a song(on the amp I couldn't hear), I could actually hear that amp quite well, but couldn't hear the other one at all. I mentioned it to the guitarist whose amp I played on and he said, "Yeah, it's those greenbacks." I appreciate any input in helping me solve my problem. Thanks!

You need a different(better) soundman, if you can find one. Few seem to know how to send guitar through the monitors. The problem may be that monitor speakers are not like guitar speakers. PS- our band never solved that problem either.

Comment

• FormerlyBassred
      FormerlyBassred commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, if the sound guy says you are cranked in the monitors and you cannot hear it, then get a new sound guy...

Try an amp stand. Getting the amp up and angled will be the only way to get the sound to your ears (and not your knees/butt) without turning up too loud.

I like to use a keyboard stand like this.... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/on-stage-stands-pro-platform-keyboard-stand. I also use the amp as a side fill rather than have it behind me.

Comment

• Grantus
      Grantus commented
      Editing a comment

Sounds like there's a lot of stage noise from other band members. The monitors should never be maxxed.

do you have it pointed at your ears or your calves?
    tlbonehead@yahoo.com
    www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
    -For Sale:
    -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
    -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
    - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
    - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
    - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Working...
    X