Vintage Brand Guitars

JoeBoy

• Members

I see what dealers  here in Canada seem to be not be restocking them also.

Most I have seen are the low end models and the pricing has been all over the place.

If I seen something like the paridice LP  at a good price,I would grab one. Not into the low end models, not when you can get the high end squiers and MIMs in the same ballpark.

• Members

This happens all the time with manufacturers...they may be available again in a couple of months, or they may never be available again.

As for the details...they're owned by Wilkinson Hardware(a UK company famous in the US for razors) and manufactured in Korea(at least my LP Deluxe copy was). Quality is typical of Korean guitars...very good, especially for the price, maybe a little sterile sounding and feeling, but overall excellent guitars...on par with PRS SE, Agile, Epiphone, older Squiers, etc...

• Members

JoeBoy wrote:

The Vintage brand seems to have gone away in America. All the online sellers no longer list them. Anybody know why? I can assume.

I've seen some of those guitars and they are quite good for the price - nice pickups and hardware.

It's probably protectionism - like when the first JV Fenders arrived and were not allowed in the US so all the music stores in Canada needed up with dozens of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have the SG clone. I bought it in a Mom and Pop store for $200. Never saw one before or since. I think the Icon series is better. Swapped the pickups with WCRs. For the price( I can feel your eyes rolling), it's a cool guitar. Doesn't come close to Gibson mojo. For me and my approach to the instrument, the Xaviere, Vintage and Epis are fine in the lower registers but once I start playing my high E string around the 12th fret and upward they sort of 'die off', especially bending with vibrato. My Gibson and PRS thrive in that register.

• Members

Vintage has nothing to do with Wilkinson razors. Vintage is a brand owned, manufactured and distributed by John Hornby Skewes, a major UK-based distribution company for music gear. Vintages have hardware designed by Trevor Wilkinson, who is the guy behind the Wilkinson bridge.

• Members

janimarj wrote:

Vintage has nothing to do with Wilkinson razors. Vintage is a brand owned, manufactured and distributed by John Hornby Skewes, a major UK-based distribution company for music gear. Vintages have hardware designed by Trevor Wilkinson, who is the guy behind the Wilkinson bridge.

Bingo! Other than being owned by the same hardware company that manufactures Wilkinson Razors, and having Wilkinson-branded and designed pickups and hardware, they have nothing to do with Wilkinson razors.

That's like saying Bic pens and lighters have nothing to do with Bic razors...?

• Members

I promise you, I read a description of Vintage Guitars that detailed the connection and I've heard this from others. It could be that Trev Wilkinson is from the same family that founded Wilkinson Sword in the 18th century, or it could be a confusion of the author with regards to the Wilkinson Hardware chain. In any case, I could be wrong but if so, I'm just citing an erroneous source.

Also-both Wilkinson logos are remarkably similar.

Regardless of who owns what, Vintage guitars are great budget instruments-personally, I prefer them to Epiphones :)

Archived