EMG vs. Seymour Duncan Blackout

Woodstock7

• Members

Can anyone weigh in on this? providing that you played both. I know EMG's have killer metal tones and so-so cleans depending on how you Eq it, but are Blackouts better? i know they have balance inputs and outputs? But is the tone good for metal? how about clean???

• Members

I have not yet used a Blackout, but I plan on buying the 7-string version when it comes out. Several guys in the amp forum have them, and they all pretty much say that (compared to an emg 81) the blackout has more bass, less noise, and even higher output while maintaining a more passive feel.

To me that sounds like it would be godly. Which is why I'm dying to buy the Blackout-7 :love:

• Members

I really doubt that EMGs will end up dissapearing. I personally love EMGs and have them on all my guitars. The blackouts might be great pups, just ike many others. But EMGs have their owng unique vibe, they are not for everyone and that is what makes them great. I use them for metal, rock, classic rock and everything.

• Members

Which one is the better for clean stuff?

I had Seymour Duncan and decided to switch them out for EMG's because I thought they sounded better all around. They sound more crisp and have better clarity while at the same time have more output without getting muddy at all and have more sustain.

I don't dislike Seymours, but given the choice I'd choose EMG everytime! I love mine and I'm never going back.

People who complain that they don't sound good for cleans need to learn to play. Yes because of the higher output it's easier to get a slightly distorted tone when your playing clean IF all you do is slam your strings with your pick. Just adjust your pick attack and it's fine. I actually like the EMG's better for clean stuff than Seymours.

• Members

Emg isnt going anywhere.

IMO they put active pickups on the map.

While I'm not a big fan, a lot of bands whose guitar tones I love use them.

Havn't heard the blackouts, but regardless of how awesome they might be, I doubt they are gonna replace an entire company.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Brewski wrote:

Alnico V's soujnds great for clean, smashing leads, arppegios and power chords.

They have that "mojo" that just isn't there in my EMG.

It's almost like the difference between tube and ss.

lol, I was wondering if a statement like this would turn up.  Quite frankly, I agree.

I've had emg, emgx's, blackouts, the gilmour strat set etc... and have learned my lesson, they really don't compare with passives.  I seriously don't get why someone would take them over passives, I'm dumbfounded by this.

I'd like to hear what the argument is for using actives because I don't get it.  The best active I tried was an 85X in the bridge of my Ibanez SZ but my BG Hellabucker that replaced it blows it out of the water, in every way.

Archived