Going back to an iPhone....

steve_man

• Members

Made the switch back to Android a few months ago, but honestly...the music apps/music tools on iOS are better than in the Android world.  Tired of incompatibility messing with using apps.  I wish I could combine all of the great features of both platforms and have the perfect phone...sadly...there's no such animal...

Goodbye Galaxy II, hello again iPhone 4....

• Members

I used Android for a couple years and then switched to an iPhone. Honestly it was more about battery life for me. I could rarely get 8 hours out of my Android and had to keep chargers in my office, my cars, and my laptop bag. My iPhone doesn't die after using it all day and the apps actually work with crashing the phone. Until they can come out with an Adroid phone that can compare battery-wise, I will stick with the iPhone. 

• Members

I have a Droid device.

I dislike the Apple company (for reasons not having anything to do with software or hardware usability).

"A--hole Computer, Inc."  

These are the people who took the GUI from Xerox PARC, and then sued Microsoft for doing the same. They continue to do exactly the same stuff today.

Free Software Foundation on Apple mobile devices"These devices completely block free software. Developers must pay a tax to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on everyone's devices."

Free Software Foundation on Android "Android is a major step towards an ethical, user-controlled, free software portable phone, but there is a long way to go ... Even though the Android phones of today are considerably less bad than Apple or Windows smartphones, they cannot be said to respect your freedom."

So, lesser of two evils, basically.

That being said, Android is a clunky, quirky platform with numerous usability flaws.  Many "doh, obvious" use cases for an Android mobile device have to be kludged together with a patchwork of apps. Much of the bundled stuff you get from the carrier is second rate "crapplications".

• Members

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, and my wife has an iPhone 5. I love my Samsung, and I prefer it over the Apple for a number of reasons, but I'm seriously in love with the iPhone 5's camera. That thing freaking rocks. Response time is lightning quick, and it takes terrific pictures.

• Members

"These are the people who took the GUI from Xerox PARC, and then sued Microsoft for doing the same. They continue to do exactly the same stuff today."

Wrong.  Apple gave Xerox a bunch of pre IPO stock in return for being able to use ideas they gathered from PARC.  They had ideas of how the IP could be used in new and useful ways for home computers at a time when Xerox was making high-end systems that not many people wanted, despite some really innovative features.  Xerox got paid.

Pre-Apple, home computers used a command line interface.  Post-Apple, they all went to a GUI.  Microsoft saw what Apple did and then instead of either paying Apple or Xerox, simply stole the ideas.

Apple also invented or paid for a lot of technology that went into creating what now seems a ubiquitous standard for mobile smart devices...and then Adroid did the same as Microsoft.  Pre-Apple, you had to have a keyboard and/or a stylus.  Post Apple, it's all fingered touch screens using essential duplicates of Apple designed user interface.

That's not to say that Apple has never borrowed small ideas of others without proper credit - just that it's really not logical to compare them as doing "the same" as Microsoft of Google when neither player really came up with anything significantly new and just did a wholesale cloning after realizing that the technology they came up with wouldn't be able to compete with Apple's superior efforts.

• Members

Well, steering as how I have absolutely boo intention of my phone add an amp or processor and turf fact that I lover to tweak and customize... Oh, not to mention the plethora of free apps... I'll stick with my android... The iPhone is great of you want something that just works and, literally, never changes... But, if you like individuality Atty all, Android I'd where it's at...

• Members

diceman1000 wrote:

Well, steering as how I have absolutely boo intention of my phone add an amp or processor and turf fact that I lover to tweak and customize... Oh, not to mention the plethora of free apps... I'll stick with my android... The iPhone is great of you want something that just works and, literally, never changes... But, if you like individuality Atty all, Android I'd where it's at...

The iPhone hardware and iOS have improved quite a bit over the years.  The basic look and feel have remained the same.  By the way, there are lots of free apps on iPhone as well, they just aren't all free.

Droid is all over the map depending on the model.  The high end Droid phones are very powerful.  The low end Droid phones, not so much.  It's that lack of universal capabilities across the entire platform that is keeping Droid down.   

• Members

That's the thing though, even an entry level Android device can be made badass with the right level of customization...

And, for the record, Droid is a designated phone model that pertains to Motorola and HTC... Android is an OS, it drives me nuts when people refer to any phone running Android as a Droid...

• Members

diceman1000 wrote:

i'm guessing the android spell checker may need work :D

• Members

diceman1000 wrote:

That's the thing though, even an entry level Android device can be made badass with the right level of customization...

And, for the record, Droid is a designated phone model that pertains to Motorola and HTC... Android is an OS, it drives me nuts when people refer to any phone running Android as a Droid...

Ok.  What I really meant to say is that iOS is easy to develop for because there are a small number of different hardware configurations in production.  By contrast, Android covers a larger variety of different hardware configurations.  That's why Android is a developer's nightmare.

The reason Steve (OP) switched back to iPhone is because of the musician oriented apps.  For musicians who care about those type of phone apps, it's important to know that most of those apps are going to remain exclusive to iOS right now.  It's partly to do with what I exaplained in the paragraph above.

This is not meant as a slag of Android or devices that run that OS.  This is simply the current situation.  

Certainly, not every musician cares about those type of apps.  But, it's helpful to know.  From many of the comments I've read around the web, plenty of musicians assume these type of apps are going to be available on Android phones.  But. that's not the case.

Here's one specific example.  Zoom released a new stomp box a few months back, the MS100BT which is a multi-fx unit.  It has 100 fx included in one small pedal.  If you have an iOS device, you can buy and load extra fx via Blue Tooth.  So, for example, there's a model of the Klon Centaur pedal available for 99 cents..                   

• Members

diceman1000 wrote:

Pooh, and I really don't think anything is keeping android down, IIRC, the GS2 and the GS3 were the to two devices of 2012...

I made that statement in the context of this thread.  The subject is the OP (Steve) switching back to iPhone because of the musician apps.  In that specific context (musician apps), Android is being kept down.  In that specific context, iOS is superior (upper) and Android is inferior (lower).  

The GS3 and GS2 are fantastic pieces of hardware.  But, in the context of this thread subject, they are inferior devices to iOS.  It's not a personal thing.  This is the current situation whether we like it or not.  

Archived