Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what was the first amp you ever bought, and your last amp

first Gorilla Tube Cruncher combo

last  5E3 Tweed Deluxe

Community Agent ProvocateurThe REAL Angry

First: 40 watt Holmes practice amp. Sounded great until the speaker started to crackle and I eventually gave it to Goodwill during a long lapse in playing.

Last: Blackstar HT-1R

Comment

• Pine Apple Slim
      Pine Apple Slim commented
      Editing a comment
      1st was Yamaha practice amp circa 1978-79.
      The last one was another practice amp, Mustang 1.

My first amp was in my Sears Silvertone guitar case. My first 'proper amp' was an Ampeg Gemini I in the mid 60s. My last amp was the Kemper Profiling amp.

Comment

Well the first one I bought (as opposed to receiving as a gift) was my '69 Kustom 100, which I still have.  Most recent purchased is a Crate B150 bass head I bought to flip, but will have to do some work on before reselling.

Both can be seen in this pic:

Attached Files
      Visit Crash Pad at:
      http://CrashPadBand.com
      CONSUME!:
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crashpad
      Gear List/Pics:
      https://sites.google.com/site/briankrashpad/

Comment

First - after playing through a borrowed 2x12 no-name tube amp for years, I finally bought my own; a mid-80's Crate G80XL :mantongue:

Latest - Jet City JCA22H

Comment

First amp when my parents were footing the bill - Gorilla 10 watt practice amp

First amp with my own money - Fender Pro Junior

Last amp I bought - Traded a guitar for a Peavey Mini Collosal JSX.  Recently replaced the preamp tube in it to  a 5963 (close to a 12AU7in sound) tube to give the amp a lot more headroom.  

The only amp I regret parting with is the Fender Pro Junior.  In fact, I'd say that is the only piece of music equipment I sold or traded that I wish I still had.  The Peavey isn't a bad small tube amp, but the Fender was better.

Comment

• Malcolm Ramone
          Malcolm Ramone commented
          Editing a comment
          First, Peavey Audition 30. Great amp, but i blew it up.
          Last, a Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET head, which lives at my band's studio now. At least until I can afford to have my Ampeg VT 40 redone! -Adam

First - Gorilla GG-20
        Most recent - Vox AC4

Certainly not the last. I want an Orange one of these days.
        Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• 44caliberKid
          44caliberKid commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes awesome! My first amp was also a ill Gorilla, the 10 watter I believe, with no OD so I got my first OD pedal for my bday..a boss ds1 back in the late 90s I was about 13. My last amp, and currently, a peavey valve king 1x12 50 watt combo that I reloaded wit a Celestion vintage 30. And if I had the money today...a Badcat Lynx...but I'll probably change my mind tomorrow.

First one I bought was a Pig Nose amp. It was great for practice but could not play out anywhere. The last amp I bought is an Egnater Rebel 30 combo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Mesa Boogie Road King II
        Carvin 2x12 cab
        Egnater Rebel 30 Combo
        Fender FSR Standard Black
        Schecter Hellraiser Black Cherry
        Ibanez RG570 Blue
        Ibanez AR200 Red Wine
        Gretsch G5120 Orange
        Hofner Shorty White
        Musket > Morley Bad Horsie > DynaComp > FullDrive 2 > BBE Green Screamer > EH POG2 > Ernie Ball Volume > Amp
        Loop EFX: Line 6 M9

Comment

My very first amp was an unknown model Epiphone. I think it was 5 watts. Hated it, but it took dirt pedals pretty well.

My most recent amp is a Blackstar HT-5, which is now three years old, and I'm still in love with it.

My next amp will be an Orange of some flavor. I'm vacillating between a Micro Terror, a TT, a Jim Root #4 Terror, an OR15, or maybe even a used AD15/12.

Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
          Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

and yes, I had to build it myself.  In fact that was when i learned to solder.

Heathkit Combo

I missed the part about the last amp.  It's a Blackstar HT-Stage-100, the head only.  It's sitting on top of a Peavey Windsor cab and I also have that head as well.

Blackstar

Attached Files
            "Born to Play" MP3 album at iTunes & Amazon.

Comment

first amp: some sort of small Peavey solid-state combo amp.

last amp: '60s Fender Champ.

INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

• Special J
                Special J commented
                Editing a comment

First amp was some cheesy Crate POS practice amp.

First proper giggable amp was a Peavey Stereo Chorus.

Most recent was my Valvetech Hayseed 30.

My first amp was a Gorilla,  the first amp I bought was a Marshell valvestate VS100 (Ithink) in 1992-3.  Wish I knew how to use it back then, I had only been playing for about 10 months when I got it.  Wish I still had it as with a lot of the gear I've had. Last amp was a Blues JR.

valvestate 100.jpg

Attached Files
              Gear1996 Strat deluxe, Schecter TSH-1, Squire standard Strat, Dearmond M65-C, Blues JR, Crate VC20, Bugera V5. Vox Time Machine, Keeley mod DS1, Wampler Euphoria, Vox wah.

Comment

• Mad Tele
                Mad Tele commented
                Editing a comment

gorilla ftw!

First: Fender Princeton Chorus in 1997. $380. Terrible horrible distortion.
              Second: Soldano Astroverb effects loop prototype in 2001
              Third and Last: Fender Blues Jr III several months ago ($375 during a Best Buy Memorial Day sale!)

Here's a picture from when I used to use the Princeton Chorus for cleans.
              0 Astro & FPC Crop50.jpg

Attached Files
              DR Strings > '97 Mexi Strat: USACG neck & Super Vee Blade Runner > Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom, Fender Original '57/'62 > Barber Direct Drive > Soldano Astroverb > WGS RETRO 30 (replaced Vintage 30) in Avatar 2x12. DD-5 Delay, Chorus. Fender Blues Junior III (BillMAudio mods in the mail)

Comment

• Mad Tele
                Mad Tele commented
                Editing a comment

if not for my Gorilla Tube Cruncher (not sure why they were anti-tube) I would probably still have a 1985 Rat and Triangle Big Muff both which souned like poop through this amp so I sold/gave them away. 

This was the first

A Gorilla GG20R.

Last one is this.

Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18.

100\_3843.JPG

Attached Files
              Set-up: ME> GUITAR> EFFECTS> AMP> AUDIENCE=
              Good Deals : sh333, mitre

Comment

• Buttcrust
                Buttcrust commented
                Editing a comment