dumble philosophy

Mad Tele

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GreatDane wrote:

Mad Tele wrote:

read this and try to not buy this amp, I dare you!

i'm the high bidder!

I'm going to snipe you in the last few seconds of the auction.:womantongue:

• Members

Kayd,

I'm being serious. They're great amps and they are expensive, but the main reason for that is that is because they're hard to get and people want them.

Not many years ago they were not crazy expensive, but there was a wait time and some weird conditions to get one. IIRC they were about $2000, although I could be wrong on that.

As for the one I had it was an ODS and it sounded really good for certain things, but seeing as how I am more of a clean player I sold it to someone (actually did a trade with some cash) who still has it and is very happy with it.

If you want that sound but don't have deep pockets Quinn makes a really nice clone, as do others.

A neat piece of trivia - Dumble built The Ventures' Mosrite amps back in the 60s.

You sometimes can find Dumble modified Fender amps, they will carry a label on the inside of the chassis. If you would like to see one of these PM me as I would rather not post it here. These are great amps.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Hey BG76, are you being serious, or just trying to be funny?

I'd call him a troll but I really think he's the most bitter, depressing person on HCEG.  His posts always contain something along the lines of, "you people hate me because my stuff's so much better than anyone else's" or "I know you people can't stand quality craftsmanship".

But really, I think we ALL agree, only a lazy person would think $45,000 is too expensive for an amp.

• Members

The issue that I have is that you seem to say that people who don't have $50k of disposable cash on hand are lazy. As a school teacher, I am not even paid that much in one year, and I am far from lazy.

So anyway, I'm sure they're worth it to those who have the cash. To each his/her own.

• Members

I've read that about the crystal lattice in more than one place. Don't know if its true or not but it makes as much sense as any other explanation.

Electrically, there should be ZERO difference between tubes and transistors but our ears tell us otherwise.

Engineering can't explain everything.

Archived