Best Guitar Cable out there? In your opinion!

tmd187

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by walfordr

Buy some professional (low capacitance) instrument cable and solder the jacks on yourself. You can have a top quality cable for around $20. Gold plated connectors are not a particularly good idea for guitar cables - it just wears off.

Yup.

Klotz La Grange and Neutrik jacks would be my choice.

• Members

Bill Lawrence sells 50 ft of high quality low-capacitance cable with 10 solderless connectors (system similar to George L's) for ~ $50. I bought it and the cables I put together are top-notch. They don't look that great but they are very solid and don't color the sound at all.

• Members

I was using a George L's cable until I read the review I posted ubove on cables. That was when I went back to my Planet Waves cable. Which is better for heavy distortion type of tones according to the Lava cable reviews. Plus that damn George L's cable kept kinking up and it was driving me friggin crazy.

• Members

i have these dimarzio cables

DiMarzio Instrument Cables are top rated by Guitar Player Magazine. They easily passed Guitar Player's "Zildjian cymbal guillotine test" and "jump rope test" of 9/97, demonstrating how well built and reliable they are in real world conditions. In order to carry the DiMarzio name, they have to sound great too. Guitar Player describes them as "quiet and transparent with a clear balance from lows to highs." They sonically outperform cables costing many times their price. They are noise-free when they are moved and are 100% shielded with a combination braided shield and carbon jacket. They are low capacitance, measured by Guitar Player at only 620pf for the 18-foot model. They come with Switchcraft connectors to ensure reliability and they have a lifetime warranty.

they have been better than anything i have had since the 70`s

• Members

Originally posted by thepoisonchef

Can you guys really tell the difference between the sound in cables? Then what about patch cables?

Try this experiment:

Plug your guitar in to your amp with a patch cable and listen to the sound, then swap out the patch cable with a cheap 10' cord and then a cheap 20' cord. Be sure to keep your head in the same position relative to the amp because this will skew the listening results.

Because of cable capacitance and high impedance pickups, you will notice that the treble of your signal will decrease as cable length increases. If a cable has low capacitance, then the effect is less noticable. If your guitar has active pickups like EMGs, then difference in sound will be unnoticeable. If you have a non true bypass buffered pedal like a Boss in you effects chain, patch cable quality will not affect your tone so much. However, build quality and noise rejection are still important factors regardless of the cable capacitance.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

The best guitar cables come from the smaller high-quality guitar cable companies.

Who do you think is paying for Monster Cables' CEO's big salary, fancy packaging, big ads in big magazines, special displays at Guitar Center and big ads on the web? You are. The cost of this stuff is hidden in the price of every Monster you buy. And none of this stuff does anything to improve the quality of a Monster Cable.

Lava and Klotz Cables are examples of two smallish companies where making the best cable at the best price is the main concern -- not making guitar cables in 20 different colors.

But right now, my favorite guitar cable is made by a tiny outfit called the Death Valley Cable Company (http://www.deathvalleycable.com), which only sells direct from their web site and through ebay to cut distribution costs. They don't make mike cables or home audio cords, just guitar TS cables. And these guitar cables kick butt. Hardly any noise, huge bottom end and detailed transparent highs.

The construction and parts are top notch. Gold-plated G & H plugs and top-of-the line CBI cable. In fact, these guys use the EXACT same plugs as a $155 Zaolla cable, but only charge $35 for the whole cable. Monster Cables are made offshore somewhere, but Death Valley cables are handmade in the U.S. in any length you want at no extra charge.

Like I said, the best deals and best guitar cables come from the smaller companies these days. Death Valley cables is th prfect example.

Archived