Two Tone SG '63 Replica build

Two Tone Guitars

• Members

Hello,

we are Two Tone Guitars, and this is the build process of a '63 SG replica that we built in our shop.

Our Facebook Page

The customer wanted an early SG but he likes the look of a later SG with a big pickguard. so we built for him a replica based on a 63 SG we had in our shop with big pickguard and few minor changes.

All the measurements and templates were taken from an original 63 SG as well as any other replica we build.

We used Honduran Mahogany for the body and neck and Brazilian Rosewood for the fingerboard.

We used Honduran Mahogany for the body and neck and Brazilian Rosewood for the fingerboard.

After the body shape is done we move on to do the control cavity and cover recess:

After the body shape is done we move on to do the control cavity and cover recess:

That lip is part of the neck pocket, once the neck is attached to the body it'll look right for this period.

That lip is part of the neck pocket, once the neck is attached to the body it'll look right for this period.

Moving to the neck, routing for the truss rod.

And truss rod is installed

60s pattern celluloid inlay, here you can see the difference between 50s style inlay to 60s style.

Moving on to the body shapes

back view

And side view

Right before gluing the neck i use a long drill bit for the pickups wire

The angle is at the heel of the neck so i draw a line where it sits flash with body and use a fret saw to make a clean cut

Once i'll glue the neck in i'll use a router to clean it up and will end up with a nice and clean wall

Clamping the neck

And we almost have a guitar

Moving on to the pickup cavities, for this period the cavities should be at the same angle as the neck but since we have a big pickguard and the pickups will be mounted on the pickguard we just went for a straight cavities

And it's ready for grain filler

It's time for cherry red grain filler

This is how it looks after a couple of coats of clear nitro

After we sealed up the guitar with clear nitro we can move on to cherry red nitro

After wet sanding and buffing it's time to put it all together

ABR-1 with nylon saddles

Ready to Rock n' Roll!

Like us on Facebook!

Archived