OK Strat fans!

docjeffrey

• Members

I started out making a demo of my Custom Shop '56 RI after taking all kinds of greif on another thread about my strat. After I recorded it to a click track, I liked it so much that I added a second rhythm part and a lead part. One thing led to another and I ended up programming a drum track and playing a bass part. So here it is in all of its glory. If you're gonna give me a bad time about my gear, at least give it a listen and see if I'm full of crap (well, maybe just half full...:-). Enjoy. Or not. Whatever.

• Members

Here's the original demo with just a single guitar part and no drums or bass. You can hear me clicking through each of the five strat settings starting with the neck pickup and proceeding in order to the bridge. Listen closely and you will hear the swtich. The strat is routed directly to a juicy 5E3 Tweed Deluxe reissue from the Custom Shop. Two mics: Cascade Ribbon with Lundahl transformer and AGK Perception large diaphragm condensor.

• Members

Very nice. I am a rocker but I liked it very nice sounding relaxing to me. Music I would love to hear when I need some calmness in my life or am working on a guitar. The tone is fantastic. I would like to here it overdriven a bit maybe in another song.

• Members

you get grief because you say things like "In 2005 I finally broke down and bought a real strat, a Custom Shop blah blah" ... the way you put it it implies an elitist attitude... and most "players" would think the concept that you have to get a custom shop strat to have a "real" one is a load of donkey balls... i'd have to agree with them

not begrudging you your instrument though... it's a lovely guitar... unfortunately in this particular clip it often sounds out of tune due to poor trem technique... or maybe the guitar wasn't tuned properly for one or more of the tracks

• Members

Mrsully--you are still misquoting me. I said "proper strat..." The original 50's and 60's Strats have a very distinct tone that a lot of players, including myself, find missing in Fender's Standard offering. Once you flatten the neck, install a plastic nut, use a poly finish, design a two - point pivot system for the trem, use some sort of zinc alloy for the bridge parts, and use heavy chunks of alder, you lose that snappy attack and glassy top end. The bass strings have no bite and sound dull. The way around this is either a boutique builder or the Custom Shop.

Why does Fender continually tweak the Am. Standard range? Some of it is marketing, but the recent changes are based on feedback from players. The new line touts thinner finishes, vintage bridge saddles, improved trem block, etc. these are all steps backwards to what they were doing 50 years ago. The R&D team recognizes that these are some of the ingredients that made the Strat a great guitar and enhance the tone. You call it elitist when players pine for better tone in a company's standard lineup. I think it's criminal that companies make players pay a premium for features that were standard on their original versions. To be fair, Fender has revamped the AVRI range, but at Custom Shop prices. Same with the Thinskins and a few other iterations.

Archived