question about a fret that's not seated right

Santuzzo

• Members

Hi,

I just noticed on my new guitar there is a fret buzz on the 7th string when fretted on the 1st fret, so I took a look at the 2nd fret and saw it's not seated into the wood all the way, from the end of the fretboard I can actually see a tiny crack.

Is this something that can be fixed easily by hammering the fret? or will the fret keep popping out over time even if it's hammered back in?

EDIT:
here's some pics:

img0289pe.jpg
img0288lv.jpg
img0287oh.jpg

Thanks,
Lars

• Members

the slot may not have been cut deep enough or the fret may have just popped up like you say but if you do hammer it back in the other strings might buzz at the 2nd fret cause it will now be lower and the strings might not clear the 3rd fret, just be careful you shouldn`t realy just deal with one fret at a time unless you know what your doing.if it is slack it might require gluing

• Members

the slot may not have been cut deep enough or the fret may have just popped up like you say but if you do hammer it back in the other strings might buzz at the 2nd fret cause it will now be lower and the strings might not clear the 3rd fret, just be careful you shouldn`t realy just deal with one fret at a time unless you know what your doing.if it is slack it might require gluing

• Members

Use a straightedge to check the fret level; it could be that it was leveled with the fret not fully seated, and dropping it all the way to the board may throw the fret leveling off.
(If you don't have a good straightedge, a piece of computer paper can work if you're careful.)

If the fret is really proud, you may be able to 'push' (not really 'pound', think more 'push') it back in, or it may be (as mentioned) a shallow slot or other issue. If the slot is too wide, it won't stay down, and will require a little CA to be wicked in to help hold it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by larryguitar View Post
Use a straightedge to check the fret level; it could be that it was leveled with the fret not fully seated, and dropping it all the way to the board may throw the fret leveling off.
(If you don't have a good straightedge, a piece of computer paper can work if you're careful.)

If the fret is really proud, you may be able to 'push' (not really 'pound', think more 'push') it back in, or it may be (as mentioned) a shallow slot or other issue. If the slot is too wide, it won't stay down, and will require a little CA to be wicked in to help hold it.
Thanks!

Yeah, the fret is definitely too high, I had not noticed this if it wasn't for the fret-buzz I'm getting on the lowest string when fretted on the 1st fret.

I was planning to bring the guitar to a tech next week for a pick-up swap anyway, so I will let him repair this for me.
If this is an easy fix, it's not worth sending the guitar back to the dealer/distributor, etc.

But once the fret is tapped back into place, will it stay there? or are chances that it will keep coming back out over time?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by craigny

View Post

Is this the RG Premium you had the neck discoloration issue on?

LOL, yes, it is. See, this guitar has already been replaced once, so I really hope the tech can fix this easily, I really don't have nerves for yet another return procedure....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Santuzzo

View Post

LOL, yes, it is. See, this guitar has already been replaced once, so I really hope the tech can fix this easily, I really don't have nerves for yet another return procedure....

That seems like an easy fix for a qualified tech.

• Members

DO not try to glue it, I use 2 pieces of wood, cut one to fit the shape of the back of the neck profile and cover with a soft rag to support the back of the neck and the other so it will hit the fret above and below as well as the unseated fret, use a C-clamp and tighten and leave the pressure on it over night and it should seat itself and stay if it is going to do so. Kind of a simple fix as you can use some simple items and not hurt anything doing it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher

View Post

DO not try to glue it, I use 2 pieces of wood, cut one to fit the shape of the back of the neck profile and cover with a soft rag to support the back of the neck and the other so it will hit the fret above and below as well as the unseated fret, use a C-clamp and tighten and leave the pressure on it over night and it should seat itself and stay if it is going to do so. Kind of a simple fix as you can use some simple items and not hurt anything doing it.

As long as the slot wasn't cut too wide, that's a good first try. If the slot is overcut, it's going to need some adhesive, IMHO.

• Members

Ibanez Premiums, mine does this too. What's happening here is the wood binding is shrinking back from the end of the fret (because there's no tang at the ends of the frets to hold them down). I was told by a builder that I could either try wood filler under the fret ends to close the gap if it really bothered me. I just left it and the guitar still seems to play and sound fine.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff View Post
Ibanez Premiums, mine does this too. What's happening here is the wood binding is shrinking back from the end of the fret (because there's no tang at the ends of the frets to hold them down). I was told by a builder that I could either try wood filler under the fret ends to close the gap if it really bothered me. I just left it and the guitar still seems to play and sound fine.
Any builder that advises wood filler to solve this problem should have his luthier licence revoked and banned from ever coming within 500 yards of a guitar if he has tools in his hand.

There are two or three good potential easy fixes for this.
Using wood filler is none of them.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DaveAronow View Post
Any builder that advises wood filler to solve this problem should have his outside licence revoked and banned from ever coming within 500 yards of a guitar if he has tools in his hand.

There are two or three good potential feasy fixes for this.
Using wood filler is none of them.

I also will use a nylon faced hammer to try to get them to pop in and seat. If they wont stay down, you may have to use some adhesive, but never do that first. If you use adhesive always use something that is water soluble, not super glue.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Update:

I just got my guitar back from the tech.

The fret is repaired, he filled the tiny gap with superglue so the fret will stay put and then leveled the fret, so there is not buzzing.

So, all is good now! :)

Also: the guitar sounds great with the new PUs!!!

Archived