"A Deluxe Reverb doesn't have enough headroom for me!"

honeyiscool

• Members

Yeah, that seems a little nuts for those not playing Wembly. I run my 35 watt mesa on a master volume of 2-3 with an air brake. I guess if you are a steel player in a country band it is reasonable to have more headroom, but, it seems silly for most else.

• Members

"When someone says "A Deluxe Reverb doesn't have enough headroom for me,"

Translation: "I don't want normal people with functioning ears to come and listen to my band."

Me: "OK, thanks for giving me the heads up!"

i agree with this 100%, although i must add one caveat...if i could only have 1 amp for the rest of my life i would have to go with the twin reverb instead.  that said, the deluxe reverb gets more play these days.

• Members

It depends on whether you're going through the PA or not, as well as what kind of clean you're after.

A deluxe reverb have plenty headroom if you're going through the pa, so would a tweed deluxe or a pignose. I can otoh certainly see situations where a deluxe reverb wouldn't have sufficient headroom if you're not mic'ing- may be loud enough to get the job done, but perhaps with some breakup. Besides, not everybody want a "pushed" clean sound. Some people like the sound of a big amp not being pushed - a tele on 3 is a glorious sound for instance.

For my personal needs a DRRI would be plenty clean though

• Members

Backing off the guitar's volume a bit will also clean things up nicely and let you wind it out for crunchy rythm and singing leads.

My Deluxe is heavily modded by Harry Kolbe and now has 2 6L6GC tubes, channel switching, reverb on both channels, a master on channel 2 with a load of gain behind it and puts out 35 watts into an EVM 12-L speaker.

This has become one of the nicest gigging and recording amps I have had the pleasure to use.

Has any one tried the Hot Rod Deluxe?

More power and headroom?

Still light enough for gigging without a roadie?

I'm to old and beat up to drag around the Super Twin I used to have, lol.

Archived