Any info on Spector/Kramer guitars?

ehlpitel

• Members

OK, here's the story, about 7 or so years ago, I got a guitar from a buddy of mine. He dropped this guitar and the headstock broke, I was real young when this happened and had no idea that it could have been easily salvaged with wood glue and some clamps- neither did my friend.

He gives me the guitar and I order a neck for it from ebay, not having any idea about scale length or anything like that.

The guitar was a Spector that came in a Kramer hard case.

After getting the neck for it, I realized that no matter what I did to it, the guitar wouldn't really stay in tune and the intonation was obviously fucked- so I gave it to a buddy who worked with guitars and wanted a project(that he never finished).

Fast forward to a few days ago, I remember about the Spector as I've always loved the body style and do realize that it's a rare guitar.

I contact my buddy and ask if I can get the guitar back- he says sure.

I picked it up last night, he kind of butchered it, took a coil splitting switch or two out and maybe a knob.

Here are pics; I'm just trying to figure out what kind of scale the guitar might be so I could possibly source an appropriate neck for the thing.

Also any other info pertaining to the guitar would be much appreciated.

The buddy I got it from must have acquired it no later than '99 and it was definitely NOT brand new at the time.

spector2.jpg?t=1231874814

spector1.jpg?t=1231874846

Thanks in advance!

• Members

The better Spector instruments were neck-thrus IIRC. That looks like it was some sort of less expensive variant, I would guess it had a Fender type 25.5 inch scale. You might get some useful info from the various Kramer oriented sites like vintagekramer.com. Did the original headstock actually say Spector? I can't read the writing on the pickups in your photos, what does that say? When I squint I guess the print says Spector but those look like the Select by EMG pickups generally found on various copies of varying quality or mid grade instruments.

• Members

The better Spector instruments were neck-thrus IIRC. That looks like it was some sort of less expensive variant, I would guess it had a Fender type 25.5 inch scale. You might get some useful info from the various Kramer oriented sites like vintagekramer.com. Did the original headstock actually say Spector? I can't read the writing on the pickups in your photos, what does that say? When I squint I guess the print says Spector but those look like the Select by EMG pickups generally found on various copies of varying quality or mid grade instruments.

The pickups say Spector on them and the neck was a 3+3 that had the Spector logo on it.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it had anything to do with Kramer besides the case- I remember my friend always referring to it as the Spector or the Kramer, but that's hardly conclusive.

I just want to bring it back to good condition, maybe sand the body down to bare wood and put some tung oil or lacquer and keep it looking natural.

The worst thing is that I bought a new Kramer neck that was in great condition, nice 3 piece maple neck w/ RW fingerboard and the fingerboard got banged up for basically no reason.

• Members

I've always wanted one of those. Hard-to-find guitars. I remember Joe Perry playing a Spector (blackhawk I think) guitar on Saturday Night Live once, and Scotti Hill from Skid Row plays the Kramer/Spector Blackhawk in the "I remember you" music video.

http://www.vintagekramer.com/spector.htm

http://www.spectorworld.com/kspector.htm

• 4 years later...

Archived