What are your thoughts about washburn Electric Guitars

finechapp

• Members

I used to love My $3,200 ES 335 Gibson that I beat up for 3 years at bar gigs and Car trucks.Then finnally I guess I got  what I deserved lt was stolen.I hear alot about the Washburn HB36 and HB35. Does any have one they can coment on? I payed a little Jazz and Rock.Will it be a good gigging guitar it cost a couple of $1,000 less then the Gibson.Thoughs?

Goodchapp

• Members

My only experience is with an early 80s budget solidbody, bolt on Wing Series that looks like this

raven

A very good guitar. Multi piece maple neck, mahogany body. String thru hardtail, brass hardware. Cost was about $220 w HS case in 1981. Belongs to a good friend who bought it new. He still has it and its still a great guitar. Solid as a rock.

I've heard only good things about the Washburn semis, but I've never played one.

• Members

I own a 2006 MIK Washburn I64. I paid $125. It is in VG condition and very well made.

Washburn is under new management and from what I read at the Washburn forums build quality has nosedived. I'm glad I have an older model.

I am sure that if you google Washburn forums and yon can find out about the HBs.

• Members

Interesting you should ask that one. I picked up an little Oscar Shmidt solid body for under 200 bucks five years ago and once I had the wammy springs fused the tunning problems disappeared and it's been the best one for me. Even rivals my Tele for just feeling right. I had a friend shaking his head with envy playing thru his Messa Boogie 412 cab. Sounds like a Gibson - dark but throaty. He tied to convince himself he was happier with his Les Paul. Fair enough ...but it cost almost 10 times what the washburn did.

P.S. If it's an arch top your after though - check out the Ibanez George Bensen line.

• Members

allthumz wrote:

I own a
2006 MIK Washburn I64
. I paid $125. It is in VG condition and very well made.

Washburn is under new management and from what I read at the Washburn forums build quality has nosedived. I'm glad I have an older model.

I am sure that if you google Washburn forums and yon can find out about the HBs.

I had this exact guitar, or pretty similar, same year, same model.  It was awesome, and the buzz feiten system or however you spell it worked great.  The neck was a bit thin for my liking.  Not that it was incredibly thin, I just like massive necks.  It put my mates epiphone les paul to shame and made him angry.  lol  Don't know about the new ones but go play a few if you can. 

I am sure you could find a hollowbody from those years for next to nothing (before they left Korea).  

Remember too, Gibson was giving killer deals before Christmas on those Midtowns, if I lived over there, I would have hit one for sure.  Have a look at the Midtowns, IMO.  About a grand from memory or even less.

• Members

First off, unless you are a real piece of {censored} you do not deserve getting your beloved guitar stolen.  People should be able to bring nice guitars to any gig, otherwise what's the point of owning them.

I owned a Washburn semi-hollow body about 5 or 6 years ago, (I think it was an HB35 but I'm not sure). I thought is was an insanely good guitar for the money. Though compared to a three grand Gibson, you might find some issues. The neck was a little chunky for my taste but not bad. Even though it was semi-hollow body it fell a little like an acoustic. If you can find a used one, it's probably worth a try.

In the end I sold it because I just like playing solid body's better

Archived