What would you do? (A twist on aliensporebomb's thread)

Tone Deaf

• Members

Here's an interesting twist on the question posed by aliensporebomb's thread...I didn't want to highjack his thread, so ponder this...

Assume your entire collection goes poof. And someone gives you to the penny, the exact amount of money that you spent to acquire all of that gear, and gives you free reign to spend it as you wish on music gear. Assume for a moment that everything you had is still on the market and available at the same cost you paid the first time.

Do you buy exactly what you had? Or do you spend it differently the second time around?

(Did I just make your head explode?)

• Members

As I buys, so I gain experience, therefore some stuff would not be replaced. Also I've been buying gear for >30 years and there's a lot of new and better gear around that when I started. Finally, guitars are unique, and I've mostly bought guitars that were great, rather than thinking "I need a strat and a Les Paul etc etc". Finally I don't need to play loud like I did when I was 17.

So I'd buy differently - probably with an emphasis on smaller, lighter and co-ordinated gear.

• Members

A few things I would not replace. I doubt Id buy another high end banjo to replace my Gibson, I just dont play it that much. I would def have to replace my upright and my Martin.
On the electric side, first I would purchase a really nice guitar amp and bass amp rig. Then I would consider guitars from there. I'd want a Pbass, at least a couple of Teles for sure, then some kind of hollowbody or semi. I could make do and be happy with Squires or MIMs for the Pbass & Teles if the budget required after the amp purchases, or assemble my own.
The semi or hollow body would be more difficult. Id look as used Gibsons first most likely if the budget allowed.

• Members

Tone Deaf wrote:

Here's an interesting twist on the question posed by aliensporebomb's thread...I didn't want to highjack his thread, so ponder this...

Assume your entire collection goes poof. And someone gives you to the penny, the exact amount of money that you spent to acquire all of that gear, and gives you free reign to spend it as you wish on music gear. Assume for a moment that everything you had is still on the market and available at the same cost you paid the first time.

Do you buy exactly what you had? Or do you spend it differently the second time around?

(Did I just make your head explode?)

i'm really happy with my collection right now.  i think i'd probably replace everything in this situation.  i went through a lot of guitars to be where i am right now.  everytime i think i've found something better, i realize i haven't.  

not saying my current collection is the best; just saying it's the best for me.

• Members

I have a couple of cheap acoustics that I would not replace - one is redundant and sits in its case and the other could be replaced by a better guitar for less money.

I also have a bunch of PA equipment and some older modelling amps that, whilst functional, would not be replaced. This is an area where technology is advancing such that older stuff is outdated fast.

When it comes to electric guitars though, there have been no significant developments in the last 60 years or so that would make me change my mind about my current choices.

• Members

The amps I would replace with the same with the exception of my acoustic amp. Guitar wise I would replace my two Strats with the same instruments if possible. My acoustic I would also replace with the same. The rest maybe not. Over all I have really decent usable gear. My keyboard rig I would do totally different.

• Members

I'd go all new, maybe even radically new....there is an enormous amount of stuff out there to own/try....the one exception would be to build another Warmoth or parts guitar because every spec of it was meticulously picked out by me with parts and specs that I prefer all in one guitar (neck width, contour, materials,etc,etc)

Archived