Short-scale electric guitars that hold their tuning

Austin_Moxie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Danelectro guitars are generally 25-inch scale, longer than Gibson standard scale.

Short-scale Fenders (24 inch scale) include the Mustang in various forms, the Jaguar, and the Duo Sonic.

I have tiny hands for a man, and I like the scale length of the Mustangs and Jaguars, combined with the Fender narrow nut width, as compared to many Gibsons. For a petite woman, I'd recommend a Fender Mustang (or the new Fender Pawn Shop Mustang Special), the Squier Duo Sonic or an old Fender Duo Sonic. Jaguars have large bodies and can be pretty heavy.

• Members

petite or not, those mini strats work very well with standard strings. I tried 11s and 12s on one I had and that was better. But I find that those work great if you tune them up to G. Like every string tuned up to the 3rd fret. then the tension is proper and it just functions more like a normal guitar.

• Members

Heh, oh and for what it's worth, here is my hand. Note the AA battery being nearly the same size as my pinky.

IMG_20110620_085032.jpg

I use strats these days as my main guitars. No trouble. 25 1/2" scales... right, or is it 25.75...? I get mixed up sometimes. facepalm.gif Either way, its one of the longest scales where the guitar is still a guitar and not a baritone.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Grantus View Post
Danelectro guitars are generally 25-inch scale, longer than Gibson standard scale.

Short-scale Fenders (24 inch scale) include the Mustang in various forms, the Jaguar, and the Duo Sonic.

I have tiny hands for a man, and I like the scale length of the Mustangs and Jaguars, combined with the Fender narrow nut width, as compared to many Gibsons. For a petite woman, I'd recommend a Fender Mustang (or the new Fender Pawn Shop Mustang Special), the Squier Duo Sonic or an old Fender Duo Sonic. Jaguars have large bodies and can be pretty heavy.
Old Duo Sonics were 22" scale. The Duo Sonic II from the mid-1960s was 24". Mustangs were available as both 22" and 24".

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Brooks

View Post

Old Duo Sonics were 22" scale. The Duo Sonic II from the mid-1960s was 24". Mustangs were available as both 22" and 24".

Yeah, I realize that. I was talking more modern versions. I kind of doubt the woman's second guitar is going to be a vintage Duo Sonic or Mustang after her first was a Squier mini Strat.

• Members

if the nut is pinging when you tune, it may need to be properly filed. i've also found that improperly stretched strings, especially 9s, tend to vary considerably. make sure the strings are stretched. it may help you to go up a string gauge.

lastly, i have 10 year old students with bigger hands than mine. small hands is a cop out.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock! View Post

lastly, i have 10 year old students with bigger hands than mine. small hands is a cop out.
For me, it's a matter of comfort rather an issue of ability. My preference, because I have small hands, is short-scale Fender necks. That doesn't mean I can't play other guitars.

• Members
comfort is another cop out.
I guess I'm not a real man because I don't play a 28-inch scale eight stringer.

Your cop-out stuff is total BS. People make neck choices all the time based on comfort and playability for them. Fender makes several guitars that I find more comfortable to play than many other guitars. I also own a couple of 24.75 scale guitars and play them frequently, but I like the 24 inch scale better.

Obviously, some people with small hands like longer scale guitars. Good for them.

At this point in my life, I don't want to fight a guitar, I just want to play.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Grantus View Post
People make neck choices all the time based on comfort and playability for them.
yes. that's a buncha crap.

buy a guitar because it plays great and sounds great. not buying a great guitar because the forearm cutout rubs you or the bridge saddle screws stick out (i've seen both of those reasons on this forum) just makes you a wuss.

learn some stretching exercises and earn some callouses. pain is the sensation of weakness leaving the body. you don't want to be weak, do you?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Moxie View Post
I'm a very petite woman learning to play, and I have a Squire mini-Strat that goes out of tune constantly.

I'm wondering if there are other short-scale electrics that might be more steadfast? Someone once recommended a Danelectro to me. Any advice?
pics or your a big fat, hairy dude

• Members
yes. that's a buncha crap.

buy a guitar because it plays great and sounds great. not buying a great guitar because the forearm cutout rubs you or the bridge saddle screws stick out (i've seen both of those reasons on this forum) just makes you a wuss.

learn some stretching exercises and earn some callouses. pain is the sensation of weakness leaving the body. you don't want to be weak, do you?
Isn't playability related in large part to a player's preferences?

It's not about pain, it's about preference for me. If you think playing a certain kind of guitar makes you strong, you've got a lot to learn about life.

You play what you want, I'll play what I want. If you think I'm a wuss for playing what I want, that's your problem, not mine.

Archived