Zachary Guitars.

drunkinminer

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Body Wood

I use whatever woods I currently have in stock at any one time or what I find in the dupster at Home Depot.

Almost anything goes, there are no rules.

Regular un-figured wood - (no extra charge)

Figured wood - (extra charge, depending on the wood)

----------------

Well that is a turn on! I bet he uses "Select Tonewood"

• Members

Also, at the very bottom of the home page, there is a list of guitar keywords

"If you are looking for any of these very fine guitar products, you should really check out this page as well."

He names off a billion guitar keywords... he only does this to make his site show up in search engines. 'Bots' read these keywords and know when to bring up his site. Man this guy is crazy

• Members

I looked at some of the guitars, he wants 2700 for one and he doesn't even know what wood he used to make it. Who the Hell would buy that?

I do agree about the strings though, I buy packs of each individual string and I can make myself a set that I like way more than a typical pack of 10s or 11s. Well, I agree that 10-46 isn't perfect, but maybe not with anything else he said (I couldn't be bothered to read all that {censored}).

• Members

He may be a bit of a nut ball but the clips I've heard of his guitars sound fantastic.

[YOUTUBE]xqkBz1ltzE0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Jb_V3qRSCAI&[/YOUTUBE]

And I do agree with some of his opinions of some of the high end boutique makers. He just comes across as a wanker. But {censored}...proof is in the pudding and I'd say his guitars deliver....at least based on youtube clips.

• Members

He posted here once or twice a few years ago. Dude is crazy.

Crazy? I don't know. He's odd, to be sure. But, I'd happily say I was the one who built many of the guitars on his site. If you take the rhetoric out of the equation, the guy makes some very interesting guitars, apparently to a high degree, using unconventional materials. We should be thankful we have a few crazies out there who look at woods most of us would pay no regard to and say "Why not?"

I like unconventional. Not just for the heck of it, like some of the new Gary Kramer body designs, or Gibson's reverse V, but with some reasoning & methodology behind his departures from traditional design. Yeah, he's a little odd & maybe arrogant, but I think his guitars are cool.

Different & would own:

070209_60.JPG

Different & would never own:

gary-kramer-simulator.jpg

reverse_flying_v1.jpg

a-reverse-v-2.JPG

• Members

He makes some sweet guitars, but the headstocks are ugly as {censored} and he's a total douchebag. He's another one of those snake oil salesman talking about "You can hear and feel the difference between a guitar made with a CNC machine and a guitar made by hand" (whatever the {censored} that's supposed to mean? I guess he uses his hand to route the pickups?)

• Members

not impressed and certainly wouldn't say his guitars "deliver" because the sound in a youtube clip. decent pickups duct taped to a 2x4 would sound decent. Anybody remember the cinder block guitar?

[YOUTUBE]FtliZngcJEw[/YOUTUBE]

His guitars aren't worth what he's asking and he certainly doesn't have a good enough product to be that arrogant. If you take the {censored}tiest Chinese import and put the same pickups he's using in them they will sound basically the same. Upgrade the tuners and bridge and you'll have a decent guitar for 1/10th the price and you won't have to deal with his attitude.

-Mc

• Members

guy i know has one and he says its the best guitar he's ever played.

i'm probably not "good enough" to purchase one.

i know i'm not good enough...i hear that dumble id the same way with his amps.i've checked out the zachary website,they look interesting and the you tube clips sound good.but man,what an erogant bastard...

• Members

guy i know has one and he says its the best guitar he's ever played.

When you get into that price range ($2500 or so), are they really better than an Anderson, Suhr, or any comparably priced manufacturer? The hand built thing is just a novelty.....he uses power tools, he just handguides them. Big deal. It ain't a hammer and chisel. I've seen threads on here where guys do the same thing......not that it's unimpressive. It's talent, but this guy thinks he's VERY special. Plus, he says he's not in it for the cash.....bull{censored}. Base price of $2500? If this dip{censored} was really concerned with 'sticking it to the big guys', he'd offer his guitars for less cash than that.......with no options to up the price. Every option would be included.

I'm also willing to bet that the 'secret finishes' are nothing more than tung oil with a waxcoat to finish the job. His 'secret nut' material is more than likely graphite. The guy's kind of a fraud. He uses Kent Armstrong pickups. NOT HANDMADE. He uses Wilkinson trems. NOT HANDMADE. Look pal......yer gonna talk the talk....you know the rest. His guitars are no more 'hand made' than these:

http://www.driskillguitars.com/

http://www.heatleyguitars.com/

I know they're more pricey, but if you've got $2500 to blow there's more where that came from, you more than likely could buy something even better and MORE handmade if that's your thing

That being said, I really do like his guitars......he's just sounds like an asshole, plain and simple.

• Members

When you get into that price range ($2500 or so), are they really better than an Anderson, Suhr, or any comparably priced manufacturer? The hand built thing is just a novelty.....he uses power tools, he just handguides them. Big deal. It ain't a hammer and chisel. I've seen threads on here where guys do the same thing......not that it's unimpressive. It's talent, but this guy thinks he's VERY special. Plus, he says he's not in it for the cash.....bull{censored}. Base price of $2500? If this dip{censored} was really concerned with 'sticking it to the big guys', he'd offer his guitars for less cash than that.......with no options to up the price. Every option would be included.

I'm also willing to bet that the 'secret finishes' are nothing more than tung oil with a waxcoat to finish the job. His 'secret nut' material is more than likely graphite. The guy's kind of a fraud. He uses Kent Armstrong pickups. NOT HANDMADE. He uses Wilkinson trems. NOT HANDMADE. Look pal......yer gonna talk the talk....you know the rest. His guitars are no more 'hand made' than these:

I know they're more pricey, but if you've got $2500 to blow there's more where that came from, you more than likely could buy something even better and MORE handmade if that's your thing

That being said, I really do like his guitars......he's just sounds like an asshole, plain and simple.

i dunno, i've never played one. just relaying what somebody told me. and as long as that guy likes it, that's all that really matters, no?

• Members

My favorite part re: pricing:

I raised prices with much contemplation because I hate to be thought of as another boutique guitar maker. I am not into that boutique stuff and the stores that sell their stuff. I want my guitars to be affordable player's guitars. However almost all of my customers tell me I charge way below what these are worth and they are right. My customers forced me to raise the price. There is just way too much work and artistry involved and building guitars by hand is no way to make any money. Its a good thing I don't do it for the money. I agree these prices are more fare.

Because the customers forced him to.

Archived