Hot or Not? February 9th

GreatDane

• Members

v

Taylor SolidBody Classic Electric Guitar

Solid body electric was designed entirely from the ground up, and features Taylor's own humbuckers, bridge, tone controls and body aesthetic. Solid swamp ash body with a satin finish maple neck. Indian rosewood fretboard.

• Members

Ancient Mariner wrote:

Ambivalent, neither hot not cold. Some nice touches, but the shape and proportions are very unexciting. It looks like a PRS MIRA that someone tried to build from memory.

This.  I would expect something a little more exciting or groundbreaking coming out of Taylor.  I've tried a Taylor electric or two and I find them very uninspiring and underwhelming.  

FWIW-I own an old MIA Big Baby-it plays nice and feels great but the build quality and everything about is incredibly cheap.  Based on trying a lot of higher end acoustics lately, I'd take a Martin, Guild or Gibson  over a Taylor almost any day.

• Members

BeanoBoy wrote:

I always prefer separate volume and tone controls for both pickups but a lot of makers don't offer it. I would like to play one of these though. Looks cool.

+1.  I'm not as thrilled with the look but I suspect, after playing for a few minutes, it would grow on me.  Good playing guitars tend to do that, in my experience.

Archived