MINOR BLUES Theory

Danny Davis

• Members

Hi, 

I'm Confused on the Minor blues chord progressions 

I have seen jimmy page and stevie ray vaughan modify blues box#2 pattern when playing the minor blues 

V chord you can play and can not play are

G7 sharp 9 u can play

G9 you can't play it

Gb flat minor 7

Dominant flat 6

• Members

Danny Davis wrote:

Hi, 

I'm Confused on the Minor blues chord progressions 

I have seen jimmy page and stevie ray vaughan modify blues box#2 pattern when playing the minor blues 

V chord you can play and can not play are

G7 sharp 9 u can play

G9 you can't play it

Gb flat minor 7

Dominant flat 6

I wouldn't worry so much about which chords someone says you can and can't use, and follow your ears.   There are usually guidelines and shortcuts to what would typically work, but really, in the context of any given song the weirdest chord might work.  If you're playing a C minor blues, but more dorian sounding (with an F instead of F- for the four chord), then a G9 (or G7#9) would fit in nicely.  Maybe not technically correct, but in my mind if the I chord is minor, it's a "minor blues" regardless what the rest of the chords are. I'm not sure what you mean by "modify the blues box #2." 

Danny Davis wrote:

Time starts at 1:06 until 1:25 take a look , and what blues box is that? is it a major pentatonic blue box#3?

I don't know the Life Without You solo off the top of my head, but it is one of my favorite solos of all time... should learn it one of these days.  Anyways, it sounds like the song is alternating between two chords in the solo section (G and E- or something), which means he's kind of focusing on chord tones for each one.  I don't know what the boxes are, but you'd have to shift  to accomodate each chord.

Archived