What's your "guilty pleasure" guitar make/model?

GreatDane

• Members

Keeping this on topic and appropriate for general audiences...

what particular brand or model guitar that you really admire/appreciate/covet/etc. that you keep "on the down-low"?

for me, it's the Ibanez super-strat type RG or Saber or Radius series.  I also really have this weird spot in my heart for the Jem, Universe and JS series.  all of these models really do fly in the face of what I tend to look for in a guitar (hard-tail or vintage-style trem, thick neck carve, decidedly traditional look/feel, etc.).  still, i get that little pitter-patter in my heart when i see an Ibanez rootbeer Jem or something with pyramid inlays.  and if it's a custom series graphics?  well, look out... i'm smitten.

OK.  enough of my "perversion".  how about you?  what is that one guitar brand or model that has you by the heart-strings in the privacy of your own room? 

v

• Members

I should get you and my friend Jeff together. He's the best guitarist I personally know, and I know quite a few. He loves his Ibanez Jem, and I tease him about it incessantly. It was his main axe for quite a while, but lately he's moved on to the Moog Paul Vo guitar.

Lately, my guilty pleasure has been old Kay and Harmony guitars. I know it's a hipster thing to like, but there are some really cool designs, and they're fun to play. Some are well-made, some not so much.

• Members

Special J wrote:

I should get you and my friend Jeff together. He's the best guitarist I personally know, and I know quite a few. He loves his Ibanez Jem, and I tease him about it incessantly. It was his main axe for quite a while, but lately he's moved on to the Moog Paul Vo guitar.

Lately, my guilty pleasure has been old Kay and Harmony guitars. I know it's a hipster thing to like, but there are some really cool designs, and they're fun to play. Some are well-made, some not so much.

that could be a dangerous friend-connection.  i don't think i'd ever own a Jem; i'd be too self-aware to enjoy any performance i had with that thing strapped to me.  but damnit if i don't click on every for-sale ad involving something Ibanez from the 80s or 90s.  and i'm not even much beyond a casual fan of steve vai.  go figure...

• Members

I'm not a fan of the necks and the price tag scares me off, but my guilty pleasure is a Gretsch White or Black Falcon with a Bigsby.  There's something so 50's cool about those guitars.

Gretsch White Falcon

The Jackson PC-1 is my other guilty pleasure, despite the fact that (a) I hate Floyd Roses, (b) I've never liked Def Leppard and © the price tag scares me off.  However, it annoys me no end that the neck on the production model isn't as fat as on Phil's personal instruments.  I prefer a beefy neck. 

Jackson PC-1

• Members

GreatDane wrote:

Keeping this on topic and appropriate for general audiences...

what particular brand or model guitar that you really admire/appreciate/covet/etc. that you keep "on the down-low"?

for me, it's the Ibanez super-strat type RG or Saber or Radius series.

I don't really have a "guilty pleasure" guitar, but I have a Radius! It's an '88, bought it new, and it was my #1 from '88 to '96, when I bought my Carvin.

Ibanez

Ibanez 2

• Members

The first electric that I ever bought was a V, so i've always had a soft spot for them... & currently own 5!

I've also always had a thing for Steinbergers ever since playing a GM in a local music shop some time in the late 80's.

For that matter, I grew up in the 80's, so I've always loved pretty much any version of a 'super-strat'.

• Members

It wouldn't have been a guilty pleasure when I was a kid, but I very much fancied V's and Dean ML's back in the 80's.  That attraction has evolved into wanting a an MSG black n white Gibson V replica... not the current Dean sig.  And yes I'd feel a bit silly playing out with that unless I flukishly ended up in a band that played the correct genre of music.

I wouldn't mind a Mockingbird or Explorer either.  

Archived