Adamas Graphite Pick

scolfax

• Members

I haven't had any of the Adamas picks, but I had a couple graphite picks years ago that started off smooth enough (no smoother than Tortex or Ultex really) but the area that touched the strings got worn and actually came to feel like fine grip sand paper.

How much are those jobbies going for? I wouldn't mind getting a couple for the collection.

• Members

I carry the same 15 picks in my pocket all the time so they're nice and worn in feeling. Doesn't matter which one I grab, it's the right one.

really? I only like playing brand new picks. I hate when the edges start to round too much. you lose picking accuracy. I throw out my picks after probably a handful of uses

• Members

Scolfax - a while back you told us about how much you liked the Dunlop Ultex Sharps. I went and checked them out and fell in love. I'm not interested in anything else. Wondering if you lost love for them or are just experimenting?

The sharps are great! They're like a magnet for strings. Which is awesome for leads but I eventually realized that pointed picks didn't feel right to me for rhythm. Have you noticed that at all or are you completely used to them?

Yeah, I'm always experimenting with picks. It's cheap and fun.

• Members

The sharps are great! They're like a magnet for strings. Which is awesome for leads but I eventually realized that pointed picks didn't feel right to me for rhythm. Have you noticed that at all or are you completely used to them?

I LOVE the ultex sharps! use them for everything- rhythm and leads. when I play, I tend to hold it so there is only a tiny tiny bit of the pick showing that I pick with. so when I do fast rhythm sections, I end up strumming a lot of it with the top of my right index finger.

my only gripe about them is that after a few shows or rehearsals they lose their sharp edge. i throw them away when they get too stubby

• Members

my only gripe about them is that after a few shows or rehearsals they lose their sharp edge.

Yeah, I hate that too. And I thought Ultex was the toughest stuff around. Bet in 5 years they'll have something the same thickness/flex that doesn't wear or break.

• Members

After many years of ragged/fuzzy pick edges or torn picks I was IMMEDIATELY satisfied when I tried Ultex picks. I can't imagine a better pick material. They flex, they last, and they don't fray.

I prefer the rounded triangle for the larger size (they don't get lost in my hand like teardrops). And as for the corners getting rounded, they do respond well to carpet sharpening technique. What else could you ask for?

• Members

For me they're doing the trick for rhythm too. I just couldn't be happier with the sharps. I probably wouldn't have tried them if I didn't run across your post way back when, so thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I also really like the Telefunken 2MM picks which are the replicas of these. I don't think you have to break them in as they are graphite which is very very hard. They also last forever. I've been playing the same pick for a year with not a dent. Difference in graphite is mainly in dynamic range it seems.

89' Fender usa squire strat , Dwarfcraft fuzz , Boss GT , Native instruments, Motu ,Ableton, George LS, Max MSP, Muscle memory.

• Members

I just bought a couple bags of the Adamas and they are different from the telefunken replicas,barely. They have more pop and are louder with less dynamic range. I think I might prefer the telefunken. I guess I didn't remember them quite right. For feel the adamas I like more(notice how Anastasio never loses grip). The telefunken are noticably quiter with less pop. The differences between the two and the 2MM gators are minimal though.