Can't keep in tune when using the Fender vintage tremolo

Tremolo Arm

• Members

I love my 62 reissue Strat. I really do. But I can't keep it in tune when I use the tremolo. And by the way using is an overstatement. I only gently caress is ala Gilmour and never dive.

I've got he Strat set up according to Fender specs - 1/8'' off the body, 3 springs, both nut and saddles well lubed. The guitar plays in perfect tune when bending, but as soon as I tap the tremolo, the whole thing goes out of whack. :confused:

This is what happens:

Let's say the guitar is in tune.

I tap the tremolo and B and G strings go sharp, D string goes flat.

I then bend a few notes on the B and G srings and they both go flat. whereas the D returns to its original position more or less.

I could have lived with going sharp when using the tremolo if the post tremolo bend was to restore the original tuning, but going flat with the post tremolo bend just makes the whole thing unusable.

Any suggestions?

• Members

Well, this is the exact product that I am using now and the nut is perfect - it was retro fitted. I think there is something going on at the bridge, but I just can't get it to work correctly.

i thought this was a joke, hahahah

big nut bends...

• Members

Have you changed string gauge recently? Perhaps that...

You have teh string treez? What type of tension for the trem springs? Maybe need a bit o tightening. Tho' as other mention, seems the nut has the issue.

• Members

This guitar is a re-issue of 1962 model. I hear it constantly that older Strat tremolo designs were infamous for not staying in tune. And the OP says he's had the nut worked on by a pro, and the OP has already been using that nut lube product, so the nut doesn't seem the LIKELY culprit.

So, anybody else for thinking that prob is in the trem design itself?

• Members

THANKS! I gotta try this method. I never use the trem bar, but bend strings a lot. Usually I don't have tuning problems, but I'll set up one of my strats like this and keep the bar in, and see how it works. From the video though, it's tough to argue with his results!

• Members

Yeah, I've seen this video and this definitely works if you are into current Mark Knopfler type of music where you very seldom bend. But the moment you bend your entire set up is out of whack, meaning that your ENTIRE solo is out of tune, simply because you can't use the whammy every 3 seconds.

I'll give you asimple example - the riff to Are You Gonna Go My way features that bend on the G string to begin the sequence. How in the world are you going to play that in tune with this method?!?

Very clever in theory but useless when put to practice in solo situations (or in fact in any situation where you need a simple bend).

• Members

This guitar is a re-issue of 1962 model. I hear it constantly that older Strat tremolo designs were infamous for not staying in tune. And the OP says he's had the nut worked on by a pro, and the OP has already been using that nut lube product, so the nut doesn't seem the LIKELY culprit.

So, anybody else for thinking that prob is in the trem design itself?

I've got a 62 reissue and I use the trem alot and it stays in tune really well.

There goes the design argument.

The only way to keep it in tune is to set it up correctly. I agree with loosening the 4 inner screws and making sure the nut is cut right.

• Members

Yeah, that video shows a great technique if you don't use any bends, but doing it that way never worked for me because I constantly bend notes.

The only way I've gotten it even close was with a set of staggered locking tuners, removing the string trees and working the nut until it's perfect. No more than 50% of the string should be buried in any nut slot or else it will lead to binding.

After doing all that I do my standard tuning/spring tension technique using a block to make sure that the balance is perfect.

It still goes out of tune a bit if I wail on it like a madman, but a quick tug on the low E string and it usually pops right in. I have no idea why it's that string after battleing the G string for years, but that's the one that likes to go sharp on me now.

Archived