No announcement yet.

Can't keep in tune when using the Fender vintage tremolo

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic Frudua. Great videos.

Do you know if anyone sells a vintage style trem that is already modified as you suggest?

Good question. Not in ALL its parts... In fact, to gather al the specs I wish to have on a tremolo I build mine by hand (but I am a bit of a crazy maniacal guy as you guess...)

But there are a few which are 80% ok and I like a lot anyway.

The Gotoh/Wilkinson VSV tremolo for example is cool. The one on the Shredder shown in the video is more basic but also pretty cool. It has slides for the saddles (to keep them stable) deeper strings inserts, big sustain block and the price is convenient.

It sounds good also.

Consider that I like the 6 screws better than the 2 pivots ones.

Write if any.
    Frudua Guitars / The Valve owner
    www.frudua.com

Comment

That's a great series of videos.

I'm not a big fan of the first one where you tune to where the strings get stuck in the nut and go out of tune when you bend. That seems kind of useless.

Yes, you mean what's the use of this if then I have to push the tremolo arm to put it back in tune?

This has been the buzz on this video but it's actually a misunderstanding.

First consider that to get so much out of tune in that video, if you notice, I bent the strings really A LOT. Much more than it is normally required. If you try this method and bend mornally you rarely will have to touch the tremolo arm to keep the tuning.

Then keep in mind that the guitar was off the wall. Never setup at all.
      The more the guitar is properyl setup (like shown in the other 5 videos) the less you will need that tremolo arm push trick to go back in tune.
      Frudua Guitars / The Valve owner
      www.frudua.com

Comment

Good question. Not in ALL its parts... In fact, to gather al the specs I wish to have on a tremolo I build mine by hand (but I am a bit of a crazy maniacal guy as you guess...)

But there are a few which are 80% ok and I like a lot though.

The Gotoh/Wilkinson VSV tremolo for example is cool. The one on the Shredder shown in the video is more basic but also pretty cool. It has slides for the saddles (to keep them stable) deeper strings inserts, big sustain block and the price is convenient.

It sounds good also.

Consider that I like the 6 screws better than the 2 pivots ones.

Write if any.

I watched all your videos today and loved them. I've been using pretty much the same techniques for years and I never have tuning problems.

What I found very interesting is that the modifications you point out for a Fender 6 pt. bridge makes it very similar to a PRS bridge. PRS trems stay in tune beautifully and your vids show why they do.
        It never occurred to me to notch the pivot screws and sharpen the knife edge of the pivot holes in the bridge plate on a Strat trem.

Excellent job.
        My Guitars

PRS Singlecut
        PRS CE24 w/ piezo
        Floyd LP
        Fender Stratocaster
        Lucero classical
        Yamaha FG312 12 string

Comment

Working...
      X