Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Made in the USA Squire???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made in the USA Squire???

So I had to rearrange the instrument room at in the music dept. today, and low and behold I came across an old electric strat copy. It's a squire but it says that it was made in the US? anyone ever hear of such a beast? I thought they were only made in asia.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Member of the Mazi Bee Militia<br />
    Current Guitar Gear - 03 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 03 Highway One Strat, 05 Taylor 210e, 1941 Gretsch Model 250, 2011 Fender Baja Tele, 2001 Martin 000-16GT<br />
    Amps - '60 Ampeg Mercury M12, Marshall Class 5, Music Man 65 112<br />
    FX - Fulltone OCD Version 2, Boss RC20 XL, Fulltone Clyde Wah, BBE Boosta Grande, EH Holy Grail Plus</div>

never heard of them

I do know some Squiers by Fender were made in the USA though
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="center"><font size="2"><font color="Purple">Hey, Cancer! **************** You!</font></font></div></div>

Comment

Wow, buy a new Squier and swap it with that one!

Comment

well the funny thing is that the dept. secretary didn't even know that the department owned a guitar. It's kind of cool, has a Roland midi hook-up on it and everything. In desparate need of a set-up. Anyone ever heard of these things, possibly a date when they were made? I'm betting early 80's.
        Current Guitar Gear - 03 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 03 Highway One Strat, 05 Taylor 210e, 1941 Gretsch Model 250, 2011 Fender Baja Tele, 2001 Martin 000-16GT<br />
        FX - Fulltone OCD Version 2, Boss RC20 XL, Fulltone Clyde Wah, BBE Boosta Grande, EH Holy Grail Plus</div>

Comment

They were made in 1994 after the Fender factory in Mexico burned down.

Comment

are those american made squires worth n e more than the mex or chiness ones?

Comment

definitely what I'm curious about. I'm trying to get the Secretary to let me do a set up on the thing so I can see how it plays.

Comment

I can't remember if it was the early 70's or 80's but Fender Squire made some killer made in the USA guitars...the Strat has the bullit truss rod. I beleive they are collectable meaning they are worth far more than your average Squire.
                Geezer Brigade Trooper #30
                1st generation Irish

Comment

What biz are you in? If you ask nicely maybe they'll let you replace it with something else.

Comment

Weren't the original Squier USA's refered to as Squier "Bullets"? I know I had an american made Squier P-bass at one time that has a really small Squier logo on the headstock and very large "Bullet" letters on it. Believe it was either 1984 or 1985.

Comment

Yeah they made them briefly and rumor was because a factory burned down blah blah. Don't think they are worth anywhere near a USA Strat. I think the highest I seen one go for is around $300.

Comment

I've never played a Squire but, I was suprised the winner of the last Guirtarmagedon played a Squire. This was from an isssue of Guitar World a few months back. Wish I could have heard it.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">Rivera K-Tre <br />
                        Randall T2 <br />
                        <br />
                        Carvin, Gibson, ESP<br />
                        <br />
                        Good deals with: Shredtilurded, Juggernaut, Guillatool1( x2 ), MatrixClaw, CRANK,Clonexx, Chris the Asian, Slav123, lfrz93, ldonnell89, Khoifish321, bankboy, JJPSGAK, DTorg, jdr94, Yo_Squig, coolblues309, samthinguy, MorgMetal666, Uberthrall, Duke318, Harris, Katana, mctallica1, JerEvil, GuidanceofSin, phreddy, O'Rourke, Toshiro, the4thlast1, aywilson, shask, NeoAngelo, TomCray, scottcrud,sdgails, GibsonVMan, 100 watt</div>

Comment

Bought it new in 1991...It is black with a maple neck, white pickguard...It says "Made in the USA" on the headstock...I had a black Duncan Hot Rails installed in the bridge position when I bought it and put black pickup covers on the middle and neck pups...Sealed Gotoh style tuners, five way switch, newer style saddles...I also put Schaller straplocks on at purchase...It came with an SKB style molded case...After the Duncan and tax, the price was about $500...Guitars are cheaper now than they used to be...

I have played the **************** out of the guitar since the day I got it and it has been a great "working" instrument...It is very versatile...I have the Hot Rails wired so position one is both coils (humbucker) and position two is one coil plus the middle pup for the quack tone...The remaining positions are standard Strat setup...The Hot Rails SCREAMs and it great for rock stuff...Using both coils in position one, it is useless, however, clean...In position two, the quack tone is perfect...

I can string this guitar, tune it, put it in the case, and when I get to the gig and plug into the tuner, I don't even have to touch it...Very stable and solid...The only real repair ever done was replacing the pickup switch after the original got a little dodgey...I have considered putting GraphTech saddles on it, but so far the originals are fine...I do have a graphite string tree for the high E and B strings...

The neck is smooth, gunstack oil finished...The only thing that makes it look a little cheaper is that the fretboard is glued on top of the rest of the neck...This is no big deal and eliminates the "skunk stripe" on the back of the neck as the truss rod was placed in first...It has the traditional smaller Strat headstock instead of the 60s style headstock used now on Squiers...

The guitar plays and looks great and I will never sell it...I have a PRS Custom, an EB Axis SuperSport, and a Strings and Things Blues King III...The Squier is a guitar that I can count on to do a little of everything when I can only take one guitar along, say for a jam or sit-in...

Other than saying Squier on the headstock, you would never know it wasn't a "real" Fender, whatever that means anymore...I would put it up against most of what passes for a "real" Fender today...

Comment

I have two; the black one is awesome. They were made in the late '90s as indicated by the serials. Poplar bodies, slab maple necks, trussrod adjust at the heal, ceramic P/Us, sealed die-cast tuners and I think swimming pool but am not sure. Many say they were made later but original owners have come forward that purchased their's new in 1989-90. Red was $180 w/ case and Blackie was $140.00 w/ gigbag.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~<br />
                            HC Geezer Brigade #150</div>

Comment

Originally posted by misterhinkydink

I have two; the black one is awesome. They were made in the late '90s as indicated by the serials. Poplar bodies, slab maple necks, trussrod adjust at the heal, ceramic P/Us, sealed die-cast tuners and I think swimming pool but am not sure. Many say they were made later but original owners have come forward that purchased their's new in 1989-90. Red was $180 w/ case and Blackie was $140.00 w/ gigbag.

Ah it was you I was thinkin of that had two!

Those features are rather MIM, you think they are really MIM's?

Comment

Working...
                              X