Craigslist is full of idiots

xrleroyx

• Members

I sold a pedal to a guy yesterday for $100, it was a custom audio electronics od/boost, mint, which retails for $140. I drove to his church and sold it to him and offered that if it didn't work as advertised, he could return it. It works, and I know this because I tested it out.

He wants to return it, and I'm guessing it's just buyers remorse. I offered a return only if it did not funtion as advertised.

I'm not going to let him return it. It's just bad business to buy something from someone, after the seller being more than accomodating, and then try to return it on the used market. Thoughts?

• Members

Here's the current e-mail conversation.

Buyer: "I think i would like to give this back and get my money back.  

When can this happen?"

Me: "Does it not function as advertised?"

Buyer: "I would like my money back in exchange for the pedal."

Me: "That does not answer my question sir.

I offered a return if the pedal did not work as advertised, otherwise

it is a final sale. If there is an issue with the functionality of the

pedal, I am more than willing to work with you to get a refund, but

I've already spent the money on school expenses. If it is just a

manner of taste preference, I'm sorry but there is nothing I can do to

accommodate you. Thank you, and have a great day!"

• Members

You should have never made that offer.

what you should have done is brought a battery powered amp and cheap guitar with you and show him the pedal works.

Every guitar/bass I've sold I bring my roland or pignose battery amp to show customer that guitar is in working order. I  also flip the pickup selector switch.

It's a one way sale. I never offer any kind of return. You buy it you bought it. I also won't let him sit there for 1/2 hour looking or deciding. 15 minutes max.

Some guys say they don't need to plug in but I always do it anyway to show them everything works so they can't call back and complain. I've sold over 30 guitars/bass/amps and never had a call back.

When I sold a Vox amp I met him at the supermarket where I knew there was an outside electric plug [most supermarkets have a plug on the outside] and I plugged in the chord and he tested the amp out with his guitar.

Never offer a return policy but show them in person everything is in working order.

• Members

My guess is, he used it for his gig or practice and doesn't want it anymore. My concern now would be that he breaks it on purpose to return it. Then, you get stuck with a broken pedal that you can't sell. In my book, private sales are final with the exchange of cash. If you want a warranty, return policy go buy new.

• Members

+1 to the people saying never have a return policy on CL. CL is already full of wankers and you don't know who will do what to screw you over if you offer them any leverage. The item is used. It's final sale. I always offer my buyers a chance to try it out, and to make sure they are happy with the item before I sell it to them. And I try to list everything about the item I sell for full disclosure, so they have nothing against me.

I go on CL knowing that I am paying less for an item that is not like a new item, and does not come with the warranty of a new item. As a seller on CL, I also understand that I have no obligation to offer a return policy on items I sell. If buyers really want a retrun policy, they should buy new.

• Members

Um, is this a surprise?

+1 on the 'no returns whatsoever' approach for CL deals.

There are decent folk on CL, but they do seem to be a minority. I take a very clear, inflexible stance on my CL dealings. Yeah, that approach loses some potential 'customers', but based on the number of CL horror stories online, I don't think they are customers worth having. All the legit folks on CL seem to get it, so it works as a good filter.

• Members

What a shame that so many people seem ingrained to try and take advantage of others, rather than help them.

Hope you're never in a spot where another person's generosity is the difference in your life.  But betcha, if that DOES happen, you won't sell out some schmuck for a hundred bucks.

• Members

Ricochet wrote:

Um, is this a surprise?

+1 on the 'no returns whatsoever' approach for CL deals.

There are decent folk on CL, but they do seem to be a minority. I take a very clear, inflexible stance on my CL dealings. Yeah, that approach loses some potential 'customers', but based on the number of CL horror stories online, I don't think they are customers worth having. All the legit folks on CL seem to get it, so it works as a good filter.

Unfortunately you only remember the bad people. I worked in retail in my parents store for many years and I really grew to despise people but when I added up all the bad customers, they were in the minority.

Per my previous post, I've sold a lot and only a few [10%] were difficult but still bought.

The majority tried out the guitar, and then most try and get a further discount [sometimes I give it sometimes I don't, doesn't hurt to ask. I base it on how much I paid for the instrument and how much I'm actually losing. Once in a while I'm actually getting more than I paid for it so I'm a bit more open to a 'discount'] and then they pay and are on their way. No one has called back [yet, knock on wood] and asked for their money back.

Here's one story that pissed me off a bit but was really my fault. I only accomodated this potential buyer because I was hoping to sell it and CL had been a bit slow that month [it ramped up 1 week later though]

The repair guy at Westwood Music in Los Angeles wanted to check out my Eric Johnson strat.  Since I was going to be in West LA that day, he asked if I could bring it by the store. The guy already had 2 EJ strats but wanted my 1st year model. So I went up to the repair shop and the guy looks it over, measures it, plays it side by side with his other EJ strat thru his amp, back and forth, back and forth. Whole thing took close to 30 min [much more time than I allow] and then he said he'd think about it. The only reason I did this was I was selling it for $1000 without the EJ case, guitar only and had a bit of $$$ in my eyes...stupid!

Well, the whole thing was my call and I allowed it but here's another bad incident which teaches me a lesson. Always make them come to you, and meet in a parking lot. Won't have all that time to measure and crap.

Through the whole ordeal I just sat patiently and didn't say anything cause I thought I might make a sale.

In the end I started to play the EJ again so I pulled it from CL and I sold about 5 guitars that following week.

Thanks for letting me vent on the Westwood Music Repair person. He'll never really know how I truly felt but here I get to say "screw you asshole"

Archived