How long does it take you to...

GreatDane

• Members

... warm up on guitar?  

ok.  figure you haven't picked up the guitar since yesterday or even the day before; are you ready to go "right out of the gates", or does it take you some time to get those fingers moving and get that left hand and right hand communicating?

if i've been away from the guitar for more than a day, i think 30 - 45 minutes is a fair approximation.  something "clicks" in or around that time and i'm good to go.  i'm OK up until that spot, but I'm generally right where I want to be at or after the 30-minute mark.

what about you?

• Members

If I haven't played for several days, warmup takes about 45 mins to an hour. A day or two without playing has me warming up from quarter of an hour to half an hour. If I'm playing day after day, no warmup needed; I'm still primed from the day before.

• Members

J-E-M wrote:

If I haven't played for several days, warmup takes about 45 mins to an hour. A day or two without playing has me warming up from quarter of an hour to half an hour. If I'm playing day after day, no warmup needed; I'm still primed from the day before.

That's exactly how it is for me too.

• Members

It always takes me about 15 mins always! Hahh I usually run the pentatonic and the natural minor regular speed than faster than alternate picking maybe some all four finger exercise than I'm usually good to go. But also try stretching your hands first! Like pull your fingers back till you can't without hurting hhaha hold for a couple seconds and than the same the opposite way. I can guarantee this cutting down your warm up time.

• Members

Though I play almost every day, i rarely play for long. Often I'd play, say, three times a day for 15 minutes to an hour depending on what the daily reality (wife or kids or work) is calling me to. I played a solo gig a few days ago and it was two hours non stop of instrumental pieces. and by the end of it I was really loose and flying over the fretboard so I see how playing for long streches works well but it's just rare in my case. Many years ago when I had so much time, I could play four hours a day and I was technically twice as good then as I am today. Life changes a lot of things.

But to answer the question, I'd say a need a good half hour to be good.

• Members

If I had to, I could play in front of an audience immediately.  I would prefer about a 10 or 15 minute warm-up but it isn't entirely necessary as there are some things you can do to warm up during your set.  Usually whatever suffices as a soundcheck is plenty of warmup.

if I haven't played in such a long time that i no longer have callouses then I would need about week to get those started again but Crazy Glue also works in an emergency.

• Members

GreatDane wrote:

... warm up on guitar?  

ok.  figure you haven't picked up the guitar since yesterday or even the day before; are you ready to go "right out of the gates", or does it take you some time to get those fingers moving and get that left hand and right hand communicating?

if i've been away from the guitar for more than a day, i think 30 - 45 minutes is a fair approximation.  something "clicks" in or around that time and i'm good to go.  i'm OK up until that spot, but I'm generally right where I want to be at or after the 30-minute mark.

what about
you
?

I totally agree.  If it's been more than a day or two. since I've played, 30-45 mins before everything starts to click.  When playing everyday, it's a quicker warm up.  Usually I'll start with alternate picking excercises to lock in both hands.  Triad chord scales follows.  Then work on the set list & new material.

Archived