To restring before a gig or not?

Presc

• Members

What's everyone's "policy" for restringing prior to a gig?

I've got a gig on Friday, and I'm at that awkward point where I'm worried my strings are getting a little bit old, but won't have adequate time to "play in" a new set before the show.

I like to have a fresh set on there but like to log an hour or two to make sure everything's fully stretched out and there are no surpises.  How about everyone else?

• Members

I'll usually change 'em at least on my main a couple of days before, unless I happen to have already changed 'em a few days before that. My backup tends to have fairly fresh strings on it all the time anyway, coz I'll change 'em nearly as often but use it nowhere near as much.

I'm not too bothered about them sounding brand new, more tuning stability and having them not break. I have to do a bit of unfortunately violent whammy work in the band, so I'm more just wanting a set on there that hasn't yet taken a massive beating.

Which reminds me, I still need to order some spare whammy bars, having been introduced to (at practice, thankfully) the reality that whammy bars can indeed break. Haha.

Archived