your favorite guitarists with questionable talent

Mad Tele

• Members

robbie kreiger

angus young

page

keef

people try to argue these guys arent that good but I think they are all awesome.  why doesnt anyone argue link wray wasnt that good?  I mean technically hes not but hes still badass.

even keef admits him without jagger and jagger without him they would both still be wanna-bes. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like players that might have questionable technical playing talent but I do love talent to write or collaborate on great songs. Neil Young and John Lennon come to mind. I even love rock 'n roll that is just a little bit out of tune and technically primitive production-wise.

Heart and soul is where it's at for me.

• Members

Van Halen!

No really, I really dig his rhythm, and he wrote some really awesome riffs in his Van Halen and Van Hagar days.  Some of his solos are great, and others aren't really my favorite, but I dig most of his rhythm playing.

I also love Pearl Jam, and while Mike McCready usually sticks to (sometimes boxy, though well-executed) penatonic solos, his playing can still get me going.  Stone Gossard doesn't shred, but he can solo with some great feel, and he's an ace rhythm player.

I think Pete Townshend's solos are downplayed next to his rhythm chops, but some of his solos are really great.

The Young brothers in AC/DC manage to sound bigger than just about anyone else, and they tend to keep it simple.  Some say they're not all that great, but they sure as hell sound great.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Van Halen!

No really, I really dig his rhythm, and he wrote some really awesome riffs in his Van Halen and Van Hagar days.  Some of his solos are great, and others aren't really my favorite, but I dig most of his rhythm playing.

I also love Pearl Jam, and while Mike McCready usually sticks to (sometimes boxy, though well-executed) penatonic solos, his playing can still get me going.  Stone Gossard doesn't shred, but he can solo with some great feel, and he's an ace rhythm player.

I think Pete Townshend's solos are downplayed next to his rhythm chops, but some of his solos are really great.

The Young brothers in AC/DC manage to sound bigger than just about anyone else, and they tend to keep it simple.  Some say they're not all that great, but they sure as hell sound great.

Well, that's because he's one of the greatest rhythm guitarists ever.  smile.gif

• Members

Your rebuttal is as subjective as the suggestions. I think if you take the question as-is, obvious Angus Young doesn't possess the technical prowess of many of today's monster technical players, though he sounds awesome, and we like his blues soloing. Jimmy Page goes down as one of the most sloppy players to be called a guitar god, indicating some limits in talent. Yet we still love those Zep riffs. Perfectly acceptable answers.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Your rebuttal is as subjective as the suggestions. I think if you take the question as-is, obvious Angus Young doesn't possess the technical prowess of many of today's monster technical players, though he sounds awesome, and we like his blues soloing. Jimmy Page goes down as one of the most sloppy players to be called a guitar god, indicating some limits in talent. Yet we still love those Zep riffs. Perfectly acceptable answers.

Kayd- Usually we agree...but not on this one.

I think part of Pagey's un-subconcious sound is his "slurring" of notes......ie: what 98% of his critics call "sloppy."

There is not a question in my mind that had Page wanted to in his prime, he could have "cleaned up" his playing had he wanted to, but it was part of the his defined style.

On a side note...as far as MY personal taste is concerned.... players like Eric Johnson and Frank Gambale bore me to death.... every note perfectly executed....yuck.... sounds like a robot playing guitar. I'll pass. Give me Page anyday.

• Members

I took the OP to mean, "who's not a technical monster, but you love anyway?"

I think that everyone named here has considerable talent, and that's why I (and many others here) love their music. Page is awesome! But he's not a perfect technique type of player. Still love the music, and the slurs and slop are part of that!

• Members

Steve Jones from The Sex Pistols and most guitarists from the indie scene.

In reality in music you dont really need to be a virtuoso you just need a good melody and rythm and everybody will love it. In reality I don't know any person that is not a guitarist that like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani or Ingwe Malsteem or any of these "virtuosos".  Personally I really don't like them it feel likes im hearing a guitarist that is trying way too hard though they are great players but I'll take a good four power chord song over a fifty millon notes and arpeggios song. This was one of my biggest arguments with the guitarist of my former band he is a fantastic player I think he's one of the few guitarist that I have met that have a great talent and is or could be a virtuoso but my argument with him was not to overcomplicate songs because in the end while playing live the other band members and me would be prone to make more mistakes live but he never heard me and the band broke up because of this we were a solid band a great band but since it was his band he didn't wanted to hear any ideas even if he told us to give some ideas for songs.

Either way in the rock scene today the guitar hero doesn't exist and nobody gives a {censored} about solos which I'm happy about because I really never cared about soloing I could do a small solo but I really prefer playing chords is funner and people enjoy it more. In the end were you make all the money is between the 1st fret and 10th fret.

• Members

Sic07 wrote:

In reality in music you dont really need to be a virtuoso you just need a good melody and rythm and everybody will love it.

In the end were you make all the money is between the 1st fret and 10th fret.

Rhythm and melody are important no matter what the genre.  I don't mind some genres of music being "niche" - it doesn't lessen (or increase) their value to me.  If it's a four chord song with those elements, great, but just because the music is fast and/or difficult to play doesn't make it any less melodic or rhythmically interesting.  It's just a matter of taste.  Pagannini's pieces can be difficult to play, but they sound amazing when someone really good performs them.  Same for Charlie Parker, Joe Pass, or Steve Vai or Paul Gilbert.  Do I prefer them to Hank Williams Sr?   Sometimes.  Sometimes not.

I think the Chet Atkins quote was that all the money is between the 1st fret and 3rd fret!

Archived