Playing my Vox Pathfinder through a Celestion Blue.

honeyiscool

• Members

If you want to know why Vox is discontinuing these Pathfinders, it probably has to do with the fact that matched with a quality speaker, it's one of the best amps they make. Not good "for the money," just good.

I know it's an SS amp so it doesn't matter but my Blue is a 16 ohm so I plan on using an 8 ohm Eminence Red Fang permanently. Should give it a bit more headroom.

• Members

Quality speakers can make all the difference in the world. I think you'll do well with a Red Fang. I have one, along with a Weber Blue Dog in my Hayseed 30. I like the Weber just a tiny bit more, but the Red Fang is great as well. There's a Pathfinder on my local CL that I've been toying with the idea of buying, just for a small grab and go amp. It's like $200 though. Is that a lot for one of those?

• Members

Pathfinder 15Rs were $119 until discontinued. I wouldn't buy one for $200 unless it's the head & cab version, since those are limited edition.

Yeah, I bought a 50w Blue Dog from a fellow forumer last week in addition to my two Alnico Blues (one inside my AC15) so I will have the trinity of AlNiCo speakers to play with. I am thinking of getting a nice lightweight 2x12" open cabinet, putting two Alnico Blues in there and installing the Blue Dog in my AC15 instead.

• Members

I didn't know the pathfinder was no longer to be found.  Very disappointing.  It may have had the best clean sound out of all SS amps I have heard, in any price range.

Who makes these decisions anyway?  They have a hell of a reputation and certainly were still selling...?  I guess they are targeting an audience who wants bells and whistles (ie: mega digital effects).  

I haven't been this upset since Ibanez discontinued their SZ series.

• Members

Ancient Mariner wrote:

They do sound nice clean and are OK driven, but not great. Certainly a lot better than a similarly priced Marshall MG15 or similar.

The LED mod helps the overdriven sounds quite a bit and gives more headroom as well.  It's a simple unsoldering of two diodes.

Archived