What's the best electric you have ever played that costs less than $300 new

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

Do you mean $300 back in the day or in recent history?  In recent history I would pick the Xaviere XV 900 that was delivered to my door in a hard case for under $300 last year. This is my number one guitar and it gets played almost everyday. I like it even more than the vintage Gretsch I once owned.

• Members

Washburn WI64D - lightweight, sounds good, Buzz Feiten Tuning System - $199 new.

DeArmond JetStar - heavy, but I like the GoldTone pickups - $169 new n the Save The Music promotion a few years back.

Danelectro Hodad - four lipstick pickups arranged as two humbuckers - $99 new as a closeout, I also bought a Hodad bass for the same price.

• Members

Hmm... I've got a few that fit into the criteria.  HOWEVER, they were all on sale/ closeout for a good bit less than their normal retail prices, fwiw.

MIK Washburn WV40 'Vindicator' - Phenolic fretboard, Buzz Feiten tuning, name-brand pickups & hardware: got it for under $200:

WV40

Kramer 'NightRider' (also MIK) - ~$220:

K

First Act Sheena CE240 - under $100 (though I think that normal retail price was around $300):

FA

• Members

I don't currently own any guitars that cost over $100, although in the past I've owned aTele, a Hagstrom Swede, and a bunch of other guitars I'm too old to remember. My main gigging guitar is my Dean Vendetta XM purchased new from GC for $99 a few years ago. Extremely lightweight, wide neck, dual humbuckers and it stays in tune. I liked it so much I bought another one that GC had on sale for $89 a few years ago.

• Members

Years ago I bought a Korean-made Squier Tele for $150, with a gig bag.  It had no finish and lousy pickups, and the body is one of those plastic/wood/plastic, foto-flame jobs that has no business sounding good at all.  The thing is, the neck has the best feel of nay guitar I have ever played (the lilst includes a number of Hamers, and a 61 SG/LP that was quite spectacular). It has aftermarket tuners and bridge, and I found pups that sounded good.  It has been my #1 for a number of years now and has spoiled me in so many ways.

• Members

Dr. Scottie C wrote:

What electric have you played that when it was new.....could be bought for $300 or less at that time?

My Jagmaster is amazing...absolutely love the neck on it...nicely weighted, and the stock Duncan Designed pups are not bad, either!  $299 new...

fetch?id=31032616&d=1394134192

• Members

I have a Jay Turser Les Paul goldtop-copy that I really like. Of course, it doesn't compare to my Gibson Les Paul as far as quality, but there is something about it that makes me enjoy playing it more that I expected to when I bought it as a backup/beater guitar. It was fine in stock condition but I eventually upgraded it with some pickups I had laying around from other guitars (Duncan Jazz/neck & Gibson 500T/bridge), also Sperzel locking tuners. I especially like how lightweight it is.

• Members

leftyaxeman wrote:

$232 for this one.  This has become my main practice guitar.  It plays unbelievably well, stays in tune no matter how much Floyd abuse I inflict.  It's even been played at gigs and sounds great.

100\_0119.jpg

This one for $31, yes, I said $31!!!  It plays and feels amazing.

100\_0031.jpg

The top one is a ???

Archived